To heat or not to heat [the pool]

Jun 18, 2018
Lake Almanor, CA
I hope everyone had a good summer with clear waters and balanced chemistry. I know I did...thanks to this super good site.
We live at 5600 feet in the California Sierras. Summers are fabulous with enough heat to keep our pool comfy without a pool heater. For winter, we partially drain the pool and add treatment to it and put a heavy duty winter cover on it.

We get snow...periodic dumps and dustings. But nothing consistent. However, our temps can get below freezing for days at a time. My husband is convinced he can swim year round if a proper pool heater is installed. We need a new pump as it is and now would be the time to shop for a heater, if we were going to do it. Also, we would convert to propane to power the pump and heater. My question for folks in similar climates is this: is it reasonable to think we could keep this pool warm enough to swim year round? Thanks!

PS: We are converting from a vinyl liner to a brand new surface next week, if the surface material matters.

What temperature does your husband want the pool to be in the winter?

Do you have a pool cover? Covering the pool when not in use will prevent heat loss and save a lot on heating costs.

Be prepared to spend a lot on propane. Propane costs 3X the cost of NG. And you need at least a 400K BTU heater if not a larger BTU commercial heater to heat the water and keep up with heat loss into the air. How large a heater you need depends on if you have a pool cover, the water temperature you desire, and how long the pool stays uncovered. Best to find someone who has experience calculating that in your area.

Rheem/Raypak has both residential and larger commercial pool heaters.

My 400K BTU heater increases water temp by about 1.7 degrees per hour. For your pool, figure about 1.5 degrees per hour. A 400K heater consumes about 4 gallons of propane per hour. I have no idea how much propane costs, but I would figure at least $2.50 per gallon. You didn't mention cost in your post, so this may not be a primary deciding factor.

I rarely use my heater. I will usually only use it in spring and fall to bump the temp up a bit, then maintain it by using a solar cover. I would say in your case, a cover would be a "must." We only swim in winter for cash or on a dare.

• Haha
Reactions: Dirk
I'm going with "not a chance." You will be burning fuel 24/7 and still likely not hitting swimmable temps in cold weather. The almanac shows temps ranging from 20 to 40 through much of the winter and you'll be losing heat as quickly - or quicker - than gaining it. An inflatable dome (in addition to the heater) will get you what you want, but at not-insignificant cost, and you'll still need to keep the heat going.

Not familiar with the Lake Almanor area but I am familiar with Lake Tahoe. There's no way anyone in their right mind (OK, I know, this is California) would hope to swim year round in an outdoor pool there. Of course, if you are independently wealthy, you can do anything you like but most of us mortals would cry "Uncle"!

You might end up spending less on one of those "endless" lap pools than heating a 20K pool year-round. They come in sizes not much bigger than a spa, and can double as a spa. They have jets that produce a current in which you can swim, endlessly, as well as lots of other features. You could keep it covered easily. Heat more cost effectively. Even build a small structure around it. Close your main pool in the winter, and keep this one going year-round. I saw a vinyl version for as little as $1600. Here's another example:

Be sure to check out their gallery. Now I want one!

PS. I love Lake Almanor. I spent summers there as a kid. My cousins have houses there. I always thought I might retire there someday, but life took me elsewhere. It's a beautiful place to be.

Last edited:
We looked into the swim spas. Not our cup of tea. I'm hoping to discourage my husband from really pursuing this..gathering ammo!
Lake Almanor hasn't changed much since I started coming up here as a kid in the late 60s. Got my chance to retire here. It's awesome

It can be done. This thread is a nice read:

There are posts on the forum about using a doem as well.

-Bigpaws

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.