Title 20? Variable speed

darthv

Jun 25, 2017
garden grove, ca
My pool motor is dying but pool pump (1 hp whisperflo) still works. I thought the obvious thing to do is replace the motor but I read that there are laws requiring all pumps in 2021 to be variable speed. Is it pointless to replace the pool motor now and just eat the extra 1000 to replace the pool pump?

Also how much realistically do people save with a variable speed pump

D,

Well, I don't think they will be coming to your house to remove an already installed pump.. :mrgreen:

That said, I can run my 3 HP pump 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month.. In my mind it just does not make sense to use a single speed pump.

The amount you save is really based on how much you run your pump now.. If you only run a few hours a day, a VS pump won't save you much money in the short term.

When they say that a VS pump cost about 90% less to run, they are not lying.

You could also go with a 2-speed motor for the pump you have now.

Thanks,

Jim R.

D,

Well, I don't think they will be coming to your house to remove an already installed pump.. :mrgreen:

That said, I can run my 3 HP pump 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month.. In my mind it just does not make sense to use a single speed pump.

The amount you save is really based on how much you run your pump now.. If you only run a few hours a day, a VS pump won't save you much money in the short term.

When they say that a VS pump cost about 90% less to run, they are not lying.

You could also go with a 2-speed motor for the pump you have now.

Thanks,

Jim R.

what’s your real world costs savings when you switched? I only have a 1hp pump now running about 8 hours in the summer.Cost to replace with a variable speed is around 1600 versus maybe 300 total to replace a motor on a single speed. One person said savings would break even in about 4 years but on a side note said the new variable speed pumps may be more prone to failure due to more complexity

DOE regulations from this fact sheet: https://image.haywardnotifications.com/lib/fe3d15707564067e721772/m/1/HaywardDOEFactSheet.pdf

» July 19, 2021 is the date non-compliant pumps will no longer be manufactured
» After July 19, 2021, dealers can still buy the older pumps and install them, as long as they can find available inventory
» Customers will not have to return product— and they won’t want to, because the non-compliant models will likely be in high demand from dealers who like their performance and relatively low cost

California is a little different. The onus is on the seller too so that is why it is difficult to find someone who will sell you a single speed although I am told it is not impossible. They can only really catch you if it is a permitted job with inspections.

what’s your real world costs savings when you switched? I only have a 1hp pump now running about 8 hours in the summer.Cost to replace with a variable speed is around 1600 versus maybe 300 total to replace a motor on a single speed. One person said savings would break even in about 4 years but on a side note said the new variable speed pumps may be more prone to failure due to more complexity

A 1 HP Whisperflo will use about 2200 watts. An Intelliflo at 1000 RPM will use around 125 Watts. If you are like me and pay $0.30-$0.40/kwh, it doesn't take too much time to make up the difference. Probably less than a year.

But, do you really need to run your pump 8 hours per day? If you ran only 2 hours per day, then it would take 4x longer for payback.

It all depends on the assumptions.

DOE regulations from this fact sheet: https://image.haywardnotifications.com/lib/fe3d15707564067e721772/m/1/HaywardDOEFactSheet.pdf

» July 19, 2021 is the date non-compliant pumps will no longer be manufactured
» After July 19, 2021, dealers can still buy the older pumps and install them, as long as they can find available inventory
» Customers will not have to return product— and they won’t want to, because the non-compliant models will likely be in high demand from dealers who like their performance and relatively low cost

California is a little different. The onus is on the seller too so that is why it is difficult to find someone who will sell you a single speed although I am told it is not impossible. They can only really catch you if it is a permitted job with inspections.

A 1 HP Whisperflo will use about 2200 watts. An Intelliflo at 1000 RPM will use around 125 Watts. If you are like me and pay $0.30-$0.40/kwh, it doesn't take too much time to make up the difference. Probably less than a year.

But, do you really need to run your pump 8 hours per day? If you ran only 2 hours per day, then it would take 4x longer for payback.

It all depends on the assumptions.

Wait what? How many hours should I run per day

If you are only using the pump for circulation and don't have a swg or chlorinator (i.e. manual chlorination), most pools can get away with as little as 2 hrs of run time, sometimes even less.

Basically this means for a non SWCG pool you only need to run the pump long enough to circulate the chlorine which can be achieved in ad fast as 30 minutes to as long as 1 1/2 hours. The rest of the pump run time is OP discretion for reasons such as skimming or filtering longer. If you're thinking about "pool turn over" that's completely hog wash here on TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.