Tips on firing up Brand new pool

younker

May 23, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
So my pool has been filled for about 2 weeks now. i havnt got the pump installed but i will finallyhave a day off this weekend.
i plan to get the pump on and running. i know i need to put salt in. how many bags? about 20000 gallons? i thought i read 12 20kg bags but cant find the info again. any tips and tricks? i just got my tfs100 in the mail as well

thanks

Before you do anything, get the water circulating and get some test results.

If the water looks cloudy or green, or if the walls are slippery, algae got a start and should be dealt with first. And that is easier at lower CYA levels than you'll want with a SWG.

Around here we suggest balancing the pool first with bleach, then adding salt, and lastly firing up the SWG to take over the chlorination duties.

got the water moving last night. im going to do the bleach tonight. then test tomorrow night and go from there
"Balancing with bleach" means more than just dosing the pool with chlorine.

I see it more as add 3 ppm FC using bleach as soon as the pump is running. Next add some CYA. Target 30 or so. Then maybe make a lap with the brush to see if you raise any clouds of algae and to mix that bleach. Then grab a sample and test the pH and TA and CH. You may need to adjust the first two and the third is for your own knowledge. It could make a difference in where you maintain other levels. Don't worry -- you don't have to know this stuff. Just run the tests and post the results and if something alarms one of us, we'll tell you.

And then if you need to do the SLAM Process you can add more bleach and get going.

All of this can be done in an hour or so, even allowing for breaks.

If you don't need to SLAM, hop in! Throw some kids in. Pour some salt in. The kids'll do a great job mixing it up. The alternative is you brushing it back and forth 'til it dissolves.

just got some first test results with my tf100. i didnt test cya since i assume i have none.
chlorine .5ppm
ph 7.8 maybe a little higher
calcium 125ppm
total alkalinity 160

going to enter into pool math and see what the next steps are
Bleach, CYA, Acid, Kids, Salt. Add 'em in that order. 15 minutes between bleach and acid and acid and kids. CYA and salt can go in without waiting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
when you say acid, what are you meaning ?? i put 2 gallons of bleach in last night how much more should i add? whats the easiest way to increase cya?pucks? thought i read something about a sock in the skimmer
Without CYA, all your bleach will disappear within hours, if not minutes, in the sun.

It will take far too long to build up CYA using pucks. You need to buy stabilizer aka CYA aka Cyanuric Acid.

And when I say acid for the pH, I mean Muriatic Acid.

What chemicals do what and how to add them is in Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool

How much of each to add can be figured out using PoolMath

Reactions: Tena
Without CYA, all your bleach will disappear within hours, if not minutes, in the sun.

It will take far too long to build up CYA using pucks. You need to buy stabilizer aka CYA aka Cyanuric Acid.

And when I say acid for the pH, I mean Muriatic Acid.

What chemicals do what and how to add them is in Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool

How much of each to add can be figured out using PoolMath
i got a whole slue of chemicals that came with the pool, i have a pile of stabilzer, i just didnt know what it was im going to add some tonight.

water is clear can see the bottom easly side walls arnt slimy at all there is ring of gunk at the water line i gotta clean in the morning.i think i need around 500 grams of Stablizer does that sound right
Not even close.

PoolMath says 27' round filled 4 feet deep is 17100 gallons. To go from zero to 70 CYA will take 160 ounces --10 lbs. That's 4.54 kg. (psst -- you can toggle between metric and US in the upper right corner)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.