Tiny hydrogen Cloudy Bubbles coming from jets

mike st pete

Sep 11, 2019
tampa-bay fl
I am new here but just read through a post about this from earlier this year. Is the solution for this getting a stronger pump? My pool is 15 years old and this is a new problem for me over the past 6 months or so. I always thought it was DE but it stops after turning the cell off. Based on the old thread I need to make sure there are no leaks in my system first and the maybe get a stronger pump. Do they make different size 1 speed pumps? An mine is also worse with my solar heater on. Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Yes SWGs generate tiny Hydrogen bubbles. It is completely normal and nothing to be concerned about. Plus no way to really stop it unless you turn off the SWG which would not be a good idea.

Also: Read This BEFORE You Post - Trouble Free Pool
It was fine the first 14 years so I wonder what has changed? It gets so cloudy that no one wants to get in.

The bubbles from a SWCG should not cloud the general pool water. We have seen some odd occurrences when a cloud has come off a SWCG but it has pretty consistently been tied to cold/cool water.

Do you have a full set of test results you can post?

It comes mostly from one jet and it is so thick you can't see the bottom of the pool. It goes away after about 3 minutes after I turn the swg off. A post from April indicates that I need a stronger pump or I have a leak somewhere. There are lots of bubbles that come out of all of my return jets all of the time. We tested the water and all is good there.

I would say you have high output from the swg and that jet must be very close to swg like a very short run of pipe and the pump is barely putting out basically just enough to satisfy the flow switch.

Can you post a link to the thread you are referencing?

A larger pump should not really make a difference for this issue.

It sounds like the SWG is generating more bubbles than it should. Could be an indication of cell failure.

How old is the cell? Have you cleaned it recently?

Sometimes it can be chemistry issue:

Last edited:
I am new here but just read through a post about this from earlier this year. Is the solution for this getting a stronger pump? My pool is 15 years old and this is a new problem for me over the past 6 months or so. I always thought it was DE but it stops after turning the cell off. Based on the old thread I need to make sure there are no leaks in my system first and the maybe get a stronger pump. Do they make different size 1 speed pumps? An mine is also worse with my solar heater on. Thanks
Mike,
Your signature is incomplete. How are you testing your water and and can you give us the numbers. What SWCG do you have.

This is probably not relevent, but im going to just throw it out anyway....
My SWG has been working perfectly for the last 2 years. Never saw any bubbles. Recently, i noticed the jets spitting out tiny bubbles when the SWG was active. I took this as hydrogen and relatively normal, but wondered why it just arbitrarily started after all this time. After snooping around i noticed heavy depsits in my cell. After a real good cleaning and reinstallation, no more bubbles. Dont know if the build up and bubbles were even related, but something in that process took it back to normal again.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My SWG has been working perfectly for the last 2 years. Never saw any bubbles. Recently, i noticed the jets spitting out tiny bubbles when the SWG was active. I took this as hydrogen and relatively normal, but wondered why it just arbitrarily started after all this time. After snooping around i noticed heavy depsits in my cell. After a real good cleaning and reinstallation, no more bubbles. Dont know if the build up and bubbles were even related, but something in that process took it back to normal again.
Would love to see your numbers. Buildup in the cell is due to unbalanced water. If your CSI would be in negitive territory you wouldn't have had the cell buidup.

I may be incorrect here, but I don’t think the lack of bubbles has anything to do with deposits on your cell. I have checked my cell twice since it was completed earlier this year. I have zero build up as I have kept my chemistry within TFP levels and I have had tiny bubbles since the day my SWG was turned on.

Reactions: TheMerk
Can you see chlorine bubbles?
Here is the prior post. The cell is new and the water was just tested and all is fine. I was able to light the bubbles like the guy did in this old thread.
As far as I can tell there is no mention of pump size, only RPM (by OP) which really doesn't apply to you since I assume you have a single speed pump. Lower speeds of a VS pump will make the bubbles either more concentrated or larger since the flow rate is much slower. But that is not the case for your setup.

But have you used a flock or algecide recently? Sometimes those can cause more bubbles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.