Timer, Pump, filter etc etc replacement

MJuric

Aug 19, 2016
Byron, Il
I'm not really sure how old our pool is but It's probably 15-20 years at least.

Recently my timer gave up the ghost entirely. I can still manually turn the pump on and off but even the contacts for that are sometimes iffy, IE have to turn it on and off a couple times. However that could also mean an issue with the pump as well.

My question here is of a larger question of should I just replace everything, pump, timer, filtering unit etc and or should I/Can I update everything or just replace with exact replacements .

At present the system has a heating unit attached to it that we never use...because I'm cheap and I don't want to pay for the gas so I will be removing that anyway.

The pump seems to run fine but if it's part of the not starting issue I could replace the timer and end up replacing the pump. The basket in the pump is shot so that needs to be replaced but I suspect that it trivial compared to the rest.

I replaced the valve for the filter a couple years ago. The rest of the unit looks ok and seems to work fine. Probably needs the sand replaced, but again not sure if it's worth replacing.

The pool light was replaced two years ago when we replaced the liner. It lasted a single year and didn't work last year. I want to replace that but maybe an update to something newer and possible run by a new time/Switch etc.

As noted the timer is shot. Not sure exactly what timer it is but it is a mechanical timer that looks similar to the Intermatic T104R.

So does it make sense here to do a complete overhaul or just stick with what I have and replace bits as they die out? Something like the filtration system I can't see "Going bad" other than the distribution valve. The pump is a motor and for the most part they don't give you much "Heads up" before they decide to revolt. On the other hand it may be fine and run for another five years so replacing it now might be a waste. Is there any other advanatges to replacement/Upgrading? More efficient motor, less electricity. Availability of better monitoring and controlling tools, lights etc that simply aren't possible with the existing system?

I know it's a very broad question but any input would be appreciated.

Thank You,

post a picture of the timer, pump and filter and we should be able to find out what needs replaced and what it is.. You sand is already thousands of years old it does not go bad.. You should do a deep clean on the filter if you have not done one.. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

If you do replace the whole pump or just the motor get a VS pump as they are WAY more efficient..

There are ways to control everything but automation can cost a lot depending on what you go with, some more than others...

Call sunseeker and ask if your light can be replaced with one of they make... Florida Sunseeker PoolTone® Color LED Pool & Spa Lights and Bulbs

post a picture of the timer, pump and filter and we should be able to find out what needs replaced and what it is.. You sand is already thousands of years old it does not go bad.. You should do a deep clean on the filter if you have not done one.. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

If you do replace the whole pump or just the motor get a VS pump as they are WAY more efficient..

There are ways to control everything but automation can cost a lot depending on what you go with, some more than others...

Call sunseeker and ask if your light can be replaced with one of they make... Florida Sunseeker PoolTone® Color LED Pool & Spa Lights and Bulbs
Ill post some pictures and thanks for the link on deep cleaning.

On the sand I thought I read somewhere that the sand becomes more and more rounded and less effective as a filter over time... then again now that I'm thinking about it I may have confused that with the abrasive used in water jet cutting which becomes less effective at cutting as the corners get knocked off.

For the automation I wouldn't mind spending more money than simple replacement if there was additional advantage, money savings long term, better control, aesthetics, etc. A digital timer that could be remotely controlled would be a useful tool as well ad being able to control some auxiliaries, lights pool/yard other pumps, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.