Timer on SWG

May 28, 2013
Washington, Il
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have a previously installed timer on my pump that my new SWG is NOT tied into. I notice that if my pump shuts off the SWG stops generating because it flashes the green “no flow” light. My question is whether or not this might harm it over time if I am timing off power for 6 hours every night and I’m also wondering if others do the same thing with their SWG and if so, how many hours are they not running it every night and still keeping their pools in line chemically?

This will not hurt it a bit but it is not advisable due to the danger of relying solely on the flow switch for safety. If the saltwater generator runs without flow, and the flow switch fails, it is possible for hydrogen gas to accumulate and explode. It has happened to several members of this site. It is always recommended to tie the SWG into the pump switch so that when the pump is off, the SWG is off.

Everyones SWG run time is different based on the cell they have, pool gallons, % setting, and pump runtime. Use PoolMath to calculate what generates 3 ppm for your pool as a starting point.

SWG should be connected to pump timer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.