Time to replace the skimmers?

Rob424

Jul 5, 2019
New York
I'm scheduled to replace my vinyl liner in a few weeks so this has also led me to take a close look at all the pool equipment. I noticed some small air bubbles in the pump and started going through the steps in the post for identifying suction side leaks (still in progress). The pressure is good and I never lose prime. As I was looking closer at both skimmers there seems to be a crack around the circular area right outside where the basket sits. I'm not really sure if this is a crack or cosmetic as there seems to be a small strip around that area in some places. If I had to guess it does not look like an existing patch and part of the manufacturing process. If it helps the skimmer top says it is a hayward brand. From what I understand, the replacement of skimmers usually requires a liner to be replaced at the same time which is where I'll be in a few weeks. I would prefer not to replace the skimmers but if I'm at that stage I guess now is the right time to avoid paying for a liner twice. I don't know the age of the skimmers. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPEG
    IMG_0076.JPEG
    407.2 KB · Views: 25
Yeah, that looks like a crack to me if it does not wash away.

What is the material is your deck around the skimmer?

Pavers around the pool. The ones close to the pool and around the skimmer are set in concrete.

I did some additional checking today and it is definitely a crack but maybe not as bad as I originally thought. So it looks like crack is around a small rim which appears to have the purpose of supporting the basket in the skimmer. From what I can tell the body of the skimmer is fine and the way this is manufactured it has this very thin rim glued around the inside of the skimmer to keep the top of the baskets in place. I'm thinking some JB Weld may be a good fix. I did some additional searches and there is actually a part called a "basket support ring" for skimmers. I think this is my problem. I have the folks that are replacing the liner coming out to give me a second opinion. What do you think?

It looks like the link you posted. The ring itself isn't cracked but where the ring attaches to the skimmer is where the crack / broken off area exists. I think if I left it as is it would eventually break off on all sides and remain where it is or settle a bit lower.

Another interesting observation - This is cracked on both of my skimmers. One is a bit worse than the other but if this is a fairly common situation that would make sense or be some really bad luck having two cracks in virtually the same place across two skimmers.

Since you are not sure how old the skimmers are and they have the same type of damage it is probably age related wear and tear, possibly also due to some time the pool may have been empty. Older plastic pool parts tend to deteriorate if they dry out and sit in the sun.

It is common. Those rings crack from the suction pulling the basket down on the ring. Eventually the ring cracks and the basket falls down into the skimmer hole.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.