Time to open Mr. B's pool

MrBfromNC

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 23, 2018
Fuquay-Varina, NC
What's up pool people? Sorry I have been M.I.A. lately. I've been logging in and lurking for the past few months but not really commenting much recently. As of today, my little 24 ft above ground has been sitting quietly awaiting my attention for precisely five months. The el cheapo pool cover I purchased late in October did a great job! It stretched a little bit but I anchored it down in 5-6 places across my new wooden deck and tied multiple chlorine jugs (half filled with pool water) to the other gromments across the remainder 2/3 of the pool walls. It filled with rain water fairly quickly but at least the water on the top held the cover securely.

So last week I began staining the deck with the CDW stuff and it looks pretty decent. And then for the past few days, I've been slowly draining off the water from the cover and this afternoon, I'll be uncovering the beast and doing my first water testing of the season. (I promise pictures soon) Need to hook up my filter and pump, scrub-a-dub-dub the walls and floors and hopefully be back in business. Now if the water temperature will rise at a decent rate, we will really be "cooking with peanut oil".

Please wish me luck!!

Good luck! My cover is coming off this week/end as well and gonna clean up as much as possible. I hope to open possibly next weekend.

So I pulled off the cover after draining most all of the water and old leaves. About half the water had evaporated over the past few months but it was surprisingly clear blue and I could easily see the floor of the pool. Unfortunately, I dumped a few leaves into the far side of the pool as I pulled the cover completely over the wall. I should have had somebody help me pull that cover over the wall but I tried to be a manly man and do it all by myself. LOL But no biggee, I guess. Just need to fill it up with the garden hose over 15-20 hours and then test the water.

I almost forgot about my $30 worth of tftestkits gift certificate that I got after I sent my Gold support gift last fall to TFP. So I ordered some new DPD powder and an extra speedstir capsule. Also, just out of my own curiosity, I think I will try to figure out how much money I spent keeping the water clean and clear for the 20 weeks that we had it open last summer. I also took Duraleigh's advice and went up to a place called MVP Services in north Raleigh and bought a five-gallon container of 12.5% LC for $15.

Oh, and I will try my best to finish the deck stain by the end of Sunday afternoon (assuming the weather cooperates somewhat). More pictures to follow. Slow progress is still progress though.... right??

IMG_1086a.jpgIMG_1085a.jpgIMG_1083a.jpg

Welcome back B. That water looks great for sitting untouched for 5 months! About what mine looked like on opening. I don't think there is anyway of not spilling some crud water off that cover into the pool. In my experience, the top water is WAY worse than under cover water, lol! Easy peasy opening for sure...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Dave. I jumped into the water yesterday and skooped out all the leaves, pine needles, etc. Brrrr, 62 degree water is not much fun!!

Thanks Kim, I will try to log in often to help the folks who are even more of a newbie than me (who would have thunk it).

But thanks for the warm welcome back, y'all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.