time for a replacement cell?

Avitron

Silver Supporter
Jun 21, 2018
Woodbury, MN
Noticed in the last few weeks chlorine production from the SWG has gone down significantly. I've been seeing error message 123, which I guess means "extremely low current to cell" according to the Jandy manual. I took it apart and give it a muriatic acid bath. I noticed that one of the parts coming from the middle prong where the power cord plugs in was covered in scale, bent and nearly coming off the cell:
1565732593915.png 1565732747377.png
After cleaning it, it broke off completely and is just clinking around in the cell. Not exactly sure what that component is.
Put the SWG back together and still getting the same error message.
It it time for a new cell? Can I just buy a replacement cell and use the sensor, control panel and power cord from the previous equipment?
Thanks!

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
You should get the PLC1400 cell kit that comes with a new cord, trisensor and cell.

The spot that broke off is where the center prong connects to the center plate. The two outer plates are connected to the two outer prongs.

If you remove the two small screws holding down the plastic piece covering the prongs and remove the piece of plastic, you will find that the center prong is no longer connected to the center plate.

Power only goes to the center plate and the two outer plates. The cell works like a battery charger with the water between the plates acting like batteries being charged.

So, it's like you have two sets of 6 batteries in series with both sets in parallel.

Avitron

Silver Supporter
Jun 21, 2018
Woodbury, MN
Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, why do you suggest replacing the cell, sensor and cord? The flow/salinity/temp sensor seems to be working fine. The cord I’m not sure about but looks OK on gross inspection.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
The center contact in the plug is going to be corroded.

Buying the parts separately costs more than buying the combined kit.

I definitely recommend getting the kit.