Time for a new hot tub???

May 25, 2017
Southern NJ
I have an Evolution standalone hot tub (manufactured by Strong) that I purchased from Costco about 11 years ago. It's been a pretty good tub; other than a control box and panel replaced under warranty, I've had zero problems with it. But over the past year or so, it has begun to show its age -- random minor leaks, motor is getting progressively louder (whining sound), control panel is less unresponsive, etc. I've been patching the leaks as they develop -- new gaskets on the heater and motor, new silicone around the waterfall and several jets, and JB Weld on a larger manifold leak -- all with varying success. Last week it started leaking again, and badly (1-2" per day), from multiple locations (lines and fittings). So I added some Marlig Fix-A-Leak, and all leaks have stopped for now, but based on the reviews this seems to be a temporary fix. Plus, I'm expecting the motor to go within the next year, and I don't want to put a new motor in a leaky spa.

Is it time to bite the bullet and buy a new spa? Has anyone experienced extended success with a pour-in leak sealing product? Or is it just a matter of time before it starts leaking again? Looking for some advice. Thanks.

It's just a matter of time before you need more leak seal.
It is always cheaper to repair than replace, but it will be a continued downhill slide from here. Only you can decide what will be best for you in the long term.

Only you can make that decision. However It's really not going to get any better if you just piecemeal the repairs. If you enjoy the tub you have, spend the money and do the repairs right.
If you are at a point where you feel putting more money isn't worth it, then it's time to replace it. However prices now have gone thru the roof and delivery times are into 2022 or later. You still might be better off repairing it for the next year or so until supply is better and prices stabilize.

And I'm thinking bite the bullet.. If you got 11 years out of it, I'd think you did good and its time. Do you really want to be fixing it all the time, or just enjoying it? Like a car to me, when i have to mess with it all the time it is time for a new (er) one. But that's me.

I would start shopping & prepare to replace it. 11 years is a great run for a costco tub. Obviously still proceed w/ minor repairs/ quick fixes to get u through until the replacement comes cuz who wants to live without a hot tub - amirite? Maybe you’ll catch a good Black Friday deal 🤷‍♀️

Thanks for the replies, that's kind of what I'm thinking -- I def don't want to rebuild, and I don't want to spend another winter patching, thawing hose, refilling, lather/rinse/repeat ...

Believe it or not, there are some tubs to be had out there, at least in my area. Could get another Evolution from Costco (Nov delivery), or step it up to an Artesian (also Nov) or a Caldera/Hot Spring (Dec). There are certain models on back order, though, along with every single Bullfrog model, lol.

I have a lifesmart (plug & play) and I hope to get as long out of it as u have yours!
if couldn’t repair it any longer i think I would definitely replace it if i were financially able at the time.
I’m into the hot tub life even more than the pool life now. Primarily because it’s year round enjoyment. I hope u find one u like & your current tub is useable until u get it in.

I have a lifesmart (plug & play) and I hope to get as long out of it as u have yours!
if couldn’t repair it any longer i think I would definitely replace it if i were financially able at the time.
I’m into the hot tub life even more than the pool life now. Primarily because it’s year round enjoyment. I hope u find one u like & your current tub is useable until u get it in.
Thanks, I hope you get plenty of use out of yours -- I know we have. It's holding water atm, hopefully will continue to do so until we get a new one.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.