Tiling a swimming pool

CowgirlSheri

May 2, 2020
Tijeras NM, 7200ft
We are going to completely tile our swimming pool! We have just torn off the waterline tile and we need to patch the entire area with something to make it smooth and even with the plaster but with what? just the same mortar we will tile the pool with? and what is the best mortar for that? And grout? thank you all so much for your help!

Wall mix, or a basic mortar will work for what you need. Home improvement stores will have it in the tile section and larger bags in with concrete goods. You should even the surface and let it cure. Plan on installing a guide to level the bottom of the waterline tiles and support them while thinset cures. Then install tiles with thin set for the type of tile,I.e., porcelain or ceramic. Use tile spacers for even grout lines. Once the thin set has cured, you can grout with a sanded grout or use an epoxy grout, if you choose. Epoxy grout will cost a bit more.

Just to clarify, it’s waterline only or the entire pool?

And curious, have you set tile before?

Wall mix, or a basic mortar will work for what you need. Home improvement stores will have it in the tile section and larger bags in with concrete goods. You should even the surface and let it cure. Plan on installing a guide to level the bottom of the waterline tiles and support them while thinset cures. Then install tiles with thin set for the type of tile,I.e., porcelain or ceramic. Use tile spacers for even grout lines. Once the thin set has cured, you can grout with a sanded grout or use an epoxy grout, if you choose. Epoxy grout will cost a bit more.

Just to clarify, it’s waterline only or the entire pool?

And curious, have you set tile before?
Thanks! we have set ALLOT of tile. Just not in a pool. We have read that you need to consider grout and mortar that will withstand the chemicals and constant immersion in water. Also, we have some paint still on the pool in places from 14 years ago, but it doesnt even want to come off with sand blasting.... do we need to remove this before tiling or do we need to put a product like "red guard" over the paint areas to insure a secure bond with the mortar? thank you.

Thanks! we have set ALLOT of tile. Just not in a pool. We have read that you need to consider grout and mortar that will withstand the chemicals and constant immersion in water. Also, we have some paint still on the pool in places from 14 years ago, but it doesnt even want to come off with sand blasting.... do we need to remove this before tiling or do we need to put a product like "red guard" over the paint areas to insure a secure bond with the mortar? thank you.
Oh yes, and it is the complete pool we are tiling.

Cool, so you have the skills! I have not tiled an entire pool.

Can the paint be ground off?

Red guard is a great product, IMO, we use it for new shower tile regularly. I think if you seal, you would want it on the entire pool surface for uniform adhesion. A good bonding agent applied over the paint should work also.

Cool, so you have the skills! I have not tiled an entire pool.

Can the paint be ground off?

Red guard is a great product, IMO, we use it for new shower tile regularly. I think if you seal, you would want it on the entire pool surface for uniform adhesion. A good bonding agent applied over the paint should work also.
thank you! what would you recommend for a good bonding agent?

I prefer either TEC or Sika, but you should check with a local supplier to see if they have something similar. A good tile or concrete supply house should have a few options for you.

If the paint wont release, then IMO it needs to be rough enough that the binder will stick and adhere properly.

Sorry about the delay, the notifications seem to disappeared again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.