Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello again

The freeze in Dallas has caused tiles to pop off the pool.

I already had a failed plaster that needed replacing.
After reading here and elsewhere about Aquabright Im considering it. It looks like there are 2 local companies that install it
Puryear and Gold Medal pools.

Can anyone clarify if the plaster needs to be redone BEFORE the aquabright goes on ?

Im trying to gauge the price of this job.
I was quoted ~$15k last year to retile and apply higher end wet edge primera stone plaster. The vendor was very difficult to get nailed down so it didnt happen.

Anyone willing to post the price range of their aquabright install ?

In looking at the 2 local aquabright vendors - gold medal pools does super high end, budget is no object, jobs like for the Dallas Cowboys and Hotels etc. In my experience those vendors often price them selves out of my range.
Any feedback on those 2 vendors ?

Added images to show plaster condition

spa IMG_5071.jpgIMG_2024.jpgpool 1.jpg

Last edited:
Doug,

Replying to your thread as I am in a similar situation; I have numerous delamination spots in my plaster pool so am getting quotes on it now. I have a quote for an Aquabright finish and it is coming in comparable to hydroblasting and a quartz plaster finish but on the Aquabright it appears they want to locate the delaminations and repair them with plaster and then add the Aquabright finish. My quote for the AB is $13,900. I'll stay tuned in to your thread as I am curious on the replies and I'll add more information as I get it or if I proceed.
Steve

I'm not the AB expert, but I play one on TV ;)

AquaBright requires that there be a plaster surface underneath it for mechanical support. So, if your plaster is in relatively good shape, the applicator should just clean/repair/prep the existing plaster surface then apply two coats of epoxy (adhesion layer for the AB to stick to the plaster) and then the AB color of your choice. Depending on the vendor's preference and the condition of your plaster, they may want to chip it out and redo the plaster layer which would make the AB coating fairly expensive since it basically involves a new plaster job as well as the AB application.

At the end of the day, I think it comes down to the applicator's assessment of your plaster surface. If they are unwilling to work with what's there because they feel it's not structurally sound, then you'd be looking at an expensive renovation equal to doing a high-end plaster material like a premium PebbleFina coating. There's not much wiggle room considering AB applicators are few and far-between...

Silver, I just had my pool completed with aquabright and by Puryear. I can't give you the price for just AB because they didnt itemize it for cost my pool. Based on the info they gave me about it and then the other posts on this forum about it, I feel very good about the decision. But not much real history for me to give yet other than installation. However, I can strongly recommend Puryear. So you should call them and have come out and take a look.

Hi Doug,

I would say more than likely your plaster is fine for an AquaBright application. You may have a few spots that need patching but a true assessment really can't be performed until the pool is drained.

I'm a little gun-shy of badly deteriorated plaster pools but I have seen some horrendous pools coated and turned out just fine.

AquaBright is a great option in your situation. Matt made a lot of good and accurate points as well.

thanks for all the replies, keep em coming

I forgot i already uploaded some images that show the plaster condition so I added those.

- - - Updated - - -

Silver, I just had my pool completed with aquabright and by Puryear. I can't give you the price for just AB because they didnt itemize it for cost my pool. Based on the info they gave me about it and then the other posts on this forum about it, I feel very good about the decision. But not much real history for me to give yet other than installation. However, I can strongly recommend Puryear. So you should call them and have come out and take a look.
Thanks for feedback
I work down in GP one day a week. Id love to see the surface some day if you are willing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update - Last year i priced the premium primera stone polished plaster -
The aquabright came in $3k higher than that. Part of that because the pool needs to be replastered before the aquabright can be installed.

The dealer does NOT promote Aquabright as being easier to manage chemicals. they stated that you simply trade adding acid for adding soda to RAISE PH and also mentioned that TA needed to be maintained due to no plaster access

Update - Last year i priced the premium primera stone polished plaster -
The aquabright came in $3k higher than that. Part of that because the pool needs to be replastered before the aquabright can be installed.

The dealer does NOT promote Aquabright as being easier to manage chemicals. they stated that you simply trade adding acid for adding soda to RAISE PH and also mentioned that TA needed to be maintained due to no plaster access

I'm not trying to be argumentative but what that dealer is saying is simply not true. His pricing more than likely reflects his ability to make a good profit margin off of a product and not likely a technical concern.

First off, it is not 100% true that a pool must be replastered for an AB coating. If it is a new pool build, then yes, you need a plaster coating. But, if it is a remodel, then the existing plaster coating is almost always fine to work with and it likely just needs some cleaning up and patch work prior to doing the AB coating. So a blanket statement that the pool must be plastered is not how the process is supposed to work and I suspect if you call ecoFinish, the parent company, they will tell you the same thing.

Next, it is also not completely the case that you trade acid for base (soda ash). A pool's pH rise has many factors and it depends a lot on the fill water chemistry. In my specific case, I have fill water with moderately high TA (~120ppm) and high CH (~250-300ppm) as well as high pH (~8.0 out of the tap). I always have rising pH in my plaster pool AND, if it were coated with AB, I would suspect that the pH would also rise over time. The net effect of the AB coating would probably just mean that the pH in my pool will rise much more slowly that it does now. Falling pH would require fill water that has low pH and low TA to start with and a pool owner using a net-acidic form of chlorine (trichlor pucks and dichlor powder). Since most PBs, as you know, know nothing about pool water chemistry, they simply don't realize that the falling pH and TA is more than likely caused by their method of chlorination (stabilized chlorine) not a result of the AB resurfacing.

Finally, the notion that one supports their TA by having plaster present is silly. No one wants their plaster to dissolve and add carbonate to the water as that would weaken the plaster and mean that the pool water is highly aggressive. TA almost always comes from fill water and only needs adjusting when acidic forms of chlorine are regularly used.

Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative with you, but it is almost always the case that you have to carefully parse what pool builders and plaster applicators say and take what they "recommend" with a huge grain of salt. Their methods of pool care are often predicated on old-wives tales and experiential knowledge without much deeper understanding of the foundational chemistry. So they often make statements that are categorical not true simply because they believe what they think is true as they have learned it. And, lets not forget that these guys are in their business to make money. If the AB coating has a slim profit margin and they can get a standard plaster job done with a greater profit margin, then they are going to think up every excuse in the book as to why you don't want to use an AB coating versus traditional plaster. Sometimes they'll be honest and say that it's just not worth their time but, more than likely, they'll just make up nonsense to try to change your mind.

The dealer speaking about AquaBright - are they the installer?

I've found it odd that every pool builder I've talked with about AquaBright is VERY quick to dismiss the product and become disinterested. The builders that have actually taken the time to see the product in a pool have all been very impressed and got excited about advantages.

There was a time when Pebble finishes were brand new and they took a good amount of time to become accepted. AquaBright is likely in this phase right now.

It doesn't help that there are many people that are uninformed on what the material really is. It isn't paint, it's not fiberglass, its not epoxy, its not plaster...

The materials and methods of application aren't new either. Flame sprayed coatings have been around for a long time and thermoplastics have been used as barriers for highly corrosive materials and underground pipelines for decades.

The best thing you can do is conduct your own research and educate yourself on the strengths and weaknesses of each pool surface. AquaBright isn't for everyone but it should at least be viewed as an option. Those who are quick to dismiss it are more than likely just misinformed because the disadvantages of the product have more to do with the installation/application and not the actual end result.

Wow

Sorry my experience doesn't match the expected.

I'm almost sorry I updated.

As the title of the thread alludes, I went to Aquabright website found the 2 DFW dealers listed and called one.

I'm simply providing the info given to me by that dealer that I found on the manufacturer site.

They stated that the vast of their new builds used aquabright and they are fans of it. Just that when I asked about the chemistry benefits the reply was as above. And they stated that they added the cost of plaster because the condition of my plaster would likely require it.

They shared their experience w regard to chemistry and I retold it here.

Again, I don't have a horse in the race, I'm simply sharing my experience.

Wow

Sorry my experience doesn't match the expected.

I'm almost sorry I updated.

As the title of the thread alludes, I went to Aquabright website found the 2 DFW dealers listed and called one.

I'm simply providing the info given to me by that dealer that I found on the manufacturer site.

They stated that the vast of their new builds used aquabright and they are fans of it. Just that when I asked about the chemistry benefits the reply was as above. And they stated that they added the cost of plaster because the condition of my plaster would likely require it.

They shared their experience w regard to chemistry and I retold it here.

Again, I don't have a horse in the race, I'm simply sharing my experience.

And we thank you for sharing what you heard. That gives people the opportunity to share the other side or to take care of any misinformation.

:hug: THANKS!

Kim:kim:

I'd be curious why this company installs AquaBright on new builds if there are no chemistry benefits?

It would be interesting to hear what the other company has to say. It certainly sounds to me that whoever you talked to may have been misinformed. Being that AquaBright is inert and does not influence water chemistry in any way is one of the biggest advantages over traditional finishes.

I'd be curious why this company installs AquaBright on new builds if there are no chemistry benefits?

Isn't it attractive, durable, feels great, isn't subject to mottling and lasts as long as pebble finishes? Maybe that's why. [emoji41]

Honestly I'm a big fan of AB, but I don't think the chemistry neutrality is the biggest selling point for me - and I get the chemistry. I also think that most new pool buyers (TFP ones excepted) don't give two toots about chemistry, so it doesn't surprise me that new buyers aren't sold that line of thinking.

The OP original conversation with the AB installer was it onsite or over the phone. If it was over the phone he may say it will take a replaster to cover his bases. With the pictures you have included I would suspect that it would be fastest to plaster then cover with AB rather than spot repairs of the original plaster.

The OP original conversation with the AB installer was it onsite or over the phone. If it was over the phone he may say it will take a replaster to cover his bases. With the pictures you have included I would suspect that it would be fastest to plaster then cover with AB rather than spot repairs of the original plaster.
The AB installer was here and saw the pool. and the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.