Thoughts on this quote i just got..... reasonable or high ??

GosuPaintballer

Jul 14, 2019
North Carolina
Date: April 13, 2020
Type Pool: 850 SF (approx. 20’ x 50’) Freeform Concrete pool (3’6” to 9’deep)
Includes:
Walk-in-steps
Brick coping around pool edge
4’ Seating bench in deep end
Excavation of site and dirt removal if needed
Shell is formed in 3/8” rebar on bottom and ½” on sides 10” on center
Shotcrete shell is shot at minimum 8” thick on bottom and with a 12” bond beam
6’ of concrete on all sides (1100 SF)
8’ Diving board
Pebble Tec / Caribbean blue finish in pool (Premium finishes at an upcharge)
6” tile
2” schedule 40 plumbing pressure tested
Pool has 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, and 3 return jets
1 HP Super pump
300 lb. sand Filter
Salt Chlorine Generator
(4) 320 LED colored lights in pool
Maintenance equipment (vacuum, brush, net, telepole, test kit, hose)
Standard Electrical
Includes plans and permits for building

Pool price:
$89,500.00

Not included in estimate:
Fencing
Landscaping
Water fill up
Retaining walls
Gas connections
Options:
*7’ Round raised spillover spa with stone surround (17,500.00)
*Variable Speed pump “saves significantly on power use” (1200.00)
*M 400 auto vac (1350.00)
*Tennessee capstone pool coping (6200.00)
*Extra steps or benches over 24LF (30.00 per ft)
*Extra LED colored light (550.00 each)
*400,000 BTU gas heater (3850.00) Plus gas connection
*Secure cover-mesh (3250.00) Smart / Solid (3650.00)

Have you gotten any other estimates? That's really the only way to know what the market is like in your area. I will say that for nearly 6 figures I would think a VS pump and a better filter option would be included. 1200 extra for VS is steep considering you are already paying for 1 HP, which I would go with a 1.5HP.

Have you gotten any other estimates? That's really the only way to know what the market is like in your area. I will say that for nearly 6 figures I would think a VS pump and a better filter option would be included. 1200 extra for VS is steep considering you are already paying for 1 HP, which I would go with a 1.5HP.

No, but the problem is, he is the only person i have found in my area that will do a concrete pool. Everyone else that i've found so far only does vinyl liner pools, and i'm just really unsure about putting in a liner pool (even though it would be a lot cheaper up front).

Keep looking... if he is truly the only one doing gunite pools then he knows this and is charging you a premium for it. I have no experience with liner pools myself.

Seems high to me too, hopefully you can get more quotes. I also agree that for that price you should be getting better equipment, including a variable speed pump, DE or Cartridge filter, and more than 3 returns.

It also looks like you are not getting a cleaner, which is typically good as the builders upcharge them, but again that is a hefty price to have to go spend another $800+ to clean the pool.

Seems really high especially for low end extremely minimal equipment package and no fence (is this required by your zoning?). Gas line run could cost a fortune I had estimates up to $4500 for 78 feet of gas line. Also make sure to get a guarantee for extra decking costs. 6' is nothing you will want way more. I also don't see how a 1HP pump could possibly handle a pool that large. In addition, you want any quotes you get to include the exact make and model of ALL equipment that is to be included with the pool!

Seems really high especially for low end extremely minimal equipment package and no fence (is this required by your zoning?). Gas line run could cost a fortune I had estimates up to $4500 for 78 feet of gas line. Also make sure to get a guarantee for extra decking costs. 6' is nothing you will want way more. I also don't see how a 1HP pump could possibly handle a pool that large. In addition, you want any quotes you get to include the exact make and model of ALL equipment that is to be included with the pool!

They use Hayward equipment. Yes, i will have to do fencing and I've already figured out i will want to add a good bit more concrete into this. If i decide to run gas, it won't be that much more since i already have it hooked up to my house, plus i give them thousands and thousands of dollars for gas every winter (i own a poultry farm).

They use Hayward equipment. Yes, i will have to do fencing and I've already figured out i will want to add a good bit more concrete into this. If i decide to run gas, it won't be that much more since i already have it hooked up to my house, plus i give them thousands and thousands of dollars for gas every winter (i own a poultry farm).

That $4500 was just to run it from my gas meter to the pool heater. Your meter also may not have enough capacity to add 400k btu more. Have the gas company evaluate. Usually heavied up meters are no charge. They replaced my meter with a new one and also added a high pressure port to it for no charge. Fence will run you probably $10k. My fence was included in my quote which was $62k btw 3 years ago.

FYI: In your climate I would go with a heat pump. Make sure you have electrical capacity at the pool equipment pad (60 amps for the heater) regardless if you decide to buy the heater now or later.

You do not want a single speed pump and an SWG. SWG’s require that you run the pump and they add chlorine slowly to your pool. This means you will be running your pool pump constantly to keep the FC up. A variable speed is the correct way to go but it looks they’re really hitting you with up-charges.

Is the diving board and 9ft really what you want? A deep pool is much more expensive to build and diving boards will usually drive your homeowners insurance up quite a bit. Unless you’ve got your heart set on a deep diving pool, you might consider a smaller layout. Adding a few jumping stones costs a lot less than creating a safe diving pool. If it’s for kids, water slides are way more fun.

If you can get a gas line run now, do it. Running a gas line later will cost even more and/or could require cutting up decking. It’s now or never. A heat pump is a good choice too as long as your electrical rates are reasonable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, vinyl is a fine choice for a pool. If the pool construction is done right, then a vinyl pool can be just as good as a concrete pool. The looks are different but that’s about it. And, if the cost savings is significant, you can get a lot of those up-charges that the gunite PB is hitting you with for less.

Also, vinyl is a fine choice for a pool. If the pool construction is done right, then a vinyl pool can be just as good as a concrete pool. The looks are different but that’s about it. And, if the cost savings is significant, you can get a lot of those up-charges that the gunite PB is hitting you with for less.

When fences are required by code it is usually very specific fences. For us that meant a specific height, specific type of gate, etc. Vinyl was not an option we had to go with the metal ones.

That's a big pool, probably in the 40,000+ gallon range. Consider downsizing unless you really need the size. You'll need to run your pump the majority of a 24-hour day just to keep up with chlorine demand. As Matt mentioned, check with your insurance company about installing a diving board. Many insurance companies in my area won't even allow them.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
When fences are required by code it is usually very specific fences. For us that meant a specific height, specific type of gate, etc. Vinyl was not an option we had to go with the metal ones.

I meant a vinyl pool, not fencing .... ?

Definitely get more quotes if possible. I don't know what part of NC you are in but I had 4 quotes and those pool builders seemed willing to travel up to 2 or 3 hours away from their home office. PM me if you want to know which ones I talked to. I don't know if its allowed to post that on the forums.

Plenty of pool builders in NC will do a gunite pool - where in NC are you located? Price does seem a bit steep.

As far as the build is concerned, I 'm not a fan of brick coping. The mortar lines tend to crack and the look ages quickly (especially red brick).

Thanks guys..... I'm in Polkville, NC. I do commercial poultry farming for my business and live on the same property as my chicken houses. I have a couple hundred acres of forestry right behind my house and we own 3 dogs. Lots of wild life go straight through our backyard, plus all the trees that are around us as well. I've just read some horror stories about vinyl pools and understand they are not a good option with big dogs and other possible animals. I realize i could do the same size pool for a lot less money, but don't want to regret it in the long run??? I also have 3 children ages 17, 4, and 2 that will be in the pool, along with friends and family. I've already checked with my insurance company and they said a diving board and pool would not be a problem.

LOL of course the diving board isn't a problem with the insurance... theyre gonna make a ton of money off of you. Watch your premium skyrocket or else they will want to exclude any pool related claims.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.