Thoughts on pool equipment/features/design

mizzourah2006

Aug 16, 2020
Arkansas
Hi Everyone, I have been reading a lot, but I still have a lot to learn. I have not had my design meeting, yet so the exact layout hasn't been finalized, but this is what I was thinking. I also asked for specifics about equipment and I know that everyone here has specifics on equipment, but I'm still having trouble matching everything up from the numerous threads, so I figured you all could provide some help.

Equipment that I've gotten listed:
- Pentair Clean & Clear 320 Cartridge Filter
- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pump
- Pentair GloBrite Color Changing LED Lights
- Pentair iChlor Salt Chlorine Generator
- Robot: Pentair Prowler 920

One question I had about the equipment is I keep seeing people mention the Pentair Intellicenter. Where does that fit in with the equipment. Is that something additional that ties this all together? I'm assuming I should ask about that as well, correct?

For layout I'm planning to do an L-shaped 16x24x32 where the width of the L is a sun shelf that right now is listed at 10 inches deep. Is that good? Seems a bit shallow, but I don't know. I asked about bubblers and they seemed a bit pricier than what I read other places. They quoted me $1300 per. So I was considering putting one bubbler in the middle of the sun shelf to keep some water flowing. Should I go with 2?

It will be 3 ft in the shallow end near the shelf going to 6ft in the deep end. I'm thinking about putting a seating area/bench along the wall in the deep end, but I'm open to thoughts/ opinions/experiences others have.

Thanks again for everyone's knowledge and help here. I've got about a year out for the build, so I have plenty of time to learn, just trying to wrap my mind around it all :)

The Intellicenter is the automation. My SWG is bundled with it. Everyone will tell you not to get Globrites but get Intellibrites or Microbrites.

For the shelf, the depth depends on what you’re going to use it for. Some people who want to put loungers on it like it more shallow for the chairs. Ours will be more of a play area so will be closer to 18”.

You should also do at least 3’6” in the shallow end.

The Intellicenter is the automation. My SWG is bundled with it. Everyone will tell you not to get Globrites but get Intellibrites or Microbrites.

For the shelf, the depth depends on what you’re going to use it for. Some people who want to put loungers on it like it more shallow for the chairs. Ours will be more of a play area so will be closer to 18”.

You should also do at least 3’6” in the shallow end.

Thank you for the response. I'll be sure to ask the PB what automation comes with the SWG. I think we'll likely use it just to sit in. My wife isn't much of a swimmer, more wants to just sit in shallow water. Would you recommend the 3'6'' shallow end if you have young kids? I guess they won't be as young by the time we get it, lol. But we'll have a 6 year old and a 4 year old when the pool is finished.

Do you or anybody else have information on the differences on the lights that I can read up on, so I better understand why the recommendation around here is the intellibrites or microbrites over the globrites?

Thanks again!

I would recommend getting the largest cartridge filter available (the 520) and MicroBrite lights. I would also go at least 3.5' in the shallow end, maybe consider 4'.

intellibrites or microbrites over the globrites
Globrites use a proprietary receptacle so you must use them for replacement. They last 2-4 years and cost $300 per light, if you DIY install.

The Microbrites use a standard receptacle and thus you can change manufacturers if you like.

Why the iChlor? I believe you are better off with the Intellichlor. Most likely an IC40.

There is actually an entire thread that compares the different lights but I don’t know how to find it. Does anyone know?

I would *never* base a pool depth on having small kids. They get taller and the pool does not. They start by hanging out on the steps or baja shelf. Then they put the swimmer's wings or that special floaty vest and they're in the water floating around. They get jiggy with how to float ALL over the pool in no time. Straddling a pool noodle with their safety wings and parents near by allows them to have quite a lot of freedom in the pool. Then they learn to swim!
3 1/2 feet *water depth* at the *minimum*.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Nikilyn

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all very much for the information! I'm definitely leaning towards the 3.5ft shallow end after listening to everyone here. I hadn't even really considered it. I thought 3 ft was pretty standard, but what you all are saying makes a ton of sense. I am also very thankful for the links to the info on the lights. The fact that the globrites tend to break after 2-4 years sounds like a big pain in the neck, so I'm going to talk to the PB about microbrites.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.