Thoughts on new pool contract/info

RollTide05

Jun 7, 2021
Birmingham/AL
Hey everyone! I just found this site yesterday, so I have been non-stop reading since then. Or at-least it feels that way. I was just looking to get a few opinions on how people feel about the pricing/information below. We have already signed our contract with the pool builder (September dig). We had thought we were using another builder to install earlier this year, but they didn't put us on the schedule and decided to not respond when I asked about an install next year. That was about status quo for at least 5 other companies I either spoke to once or attempted to call without response. The company below has been very responsive to all questions and prompt in getting us set up quickly and to do an install in September this year. They do 2 installs a month and have done several community pools in the area. So they are highly rated and we have seen their work.
So that brings me to the below information and what we are paying for our pool. We are expanding it to a 16x32 which adds $8k right off the bat as well as the $6k tanning ledge. So we are sitting at $87,900 before any other additions we might want to make. Just looking for opinions on if we are getting a fair deal for what we are getting. I know markets vary widely from area to area, but just looking for a general idea. We are in the Birmingham area. I'll ask for a breakdown of what make/models we are getting for the pool equipment. Thanks for any and all feedback!

* Price Includes:
* 15x30 Shot Crete Pool $73,900
* Pool set parallel to house approx. 10ft off current deck with concrete between house and pool.
* Surface color customer choice
* Gravel Backfill
* Standard 6x6 waterline tile
* 1 foot of Flagstone border with equivalent of 4ft concrete around pool moved between house and pool
* 1.5 HP pump, sand filter, dual main drains, skimmer, 3 return jets, 3 LED lights, 2 bubblers on tanning ledge- equipment pad up by house
* Robotic cleaner and solar blanket
* Grounding grid
* All excavation (dirt to remain and be spread out some around pool and rest dropped over wall but not spread)
* Standard Electrical hookup (no gas)

Add on Options:
* $6,000 Interior tanning ledge
* $2000 Each additional foot of depth starting at 7'
* $2000 Each Foot additional length over 30ft
* $4000 Each food additional width over 15ft

Hey there- I see no mention of included depths, sanitation (how about a Salt Water Chlorine Generator SWG?) and the pump must be a variable speed. I would suggest Pentair equipment so that you can later automate things if you choose and the Intelliflo pump and SWG are ideal.

As for prices.....they've all risen a bunch lately. Equipment shortages due to transportation problems as well as a big run on equipment due to the big Texas freeze which damaged more pools than you can imagine! I don't know if prices will drop again....??

Maddie :flower:

* $2000 Each additional foot of depth starting at 7'
Maddie, it looks like up to 7' depth is included in base price. I would read that as any combinations of depth from shallow to deep. If that's not right, they really need to spell it out.

No heater?

See solar blanket, but what about winter cover? Anchors for the cover?
Includes a reel for the solar blanket?

Don't see what plans are for sanitizing (chlorine). Would recommend salt water chlorine generator. They are highly thought of on this forum. The alternative is liquid chlorine. Do not recommend in-line chlorinator with pucks and NO mineral system (copper).

If you have small children, you will love that tanning ledge even more since it gives them a place to play and somewhere to put a water table. Be sure you like the depth. Ensure that you know what water level depth will be; the contract might specify height of wall as "depth".

Your quote is in the same ballpark as our contract; also a September dig, 36x15 rectangular with integral 7x7 spa, shelf, auto cover, 400k BTU heater, SWG, 400sqft concrete deck for $85.8k. It will go up a bit as I am upgrading to microbrites and VS pump.

Thanks for the replies and information! I will speak with our builder to get clarification on those things you all mentioned.

I do know it is a SWCG. It will be from 4' to 7' on depth (unless we increase it). They have said they use Jandy or Hayward equipment typically, so I can ask about Pentair. I assume they would just want to increase the price to switch.

Stevo, thanks for the close build reference. It's nice you were able to include a spa. I spoke with multiple PB's here and they all said a spa would add 15k to 25k depending on what we wanted. So we quickly nixed that and are going to go with a standalone at a later date.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.