Thoughts on NE FL Proposal....

Mrslac1

May 29, 2020
Jax, Florida
Hello!!

Would like to get some thoughts on attached pool proposal. Hoping to sign contract next week and hopefully start build after labor day :)

We have a funky corner/side yard and wasn't sure if a pool was possible, but we are happy with the design. We are located in North Florida and are still debating if we should go ahead and install the heat pump (Pool will be screened), we are having it pre-wired in the proposal.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Proposal 1.jpg
    Proposal 1.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 122
  • Proposal 2.jpg
    Proposal 2.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Proposal 3.jpg
    Proposal 3.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 116
The AQURON concrete sealer sounds like a bunch of boloney to me and is not necessary. Plus it adds over $1200 to the cost of the pool. It is not needed...sounds like a nice profit maker for the PB. I would ask to have it taken out of the proposal. The concrete shell and plaster are warrantied by the individual subs so I don’t think the presence of that AQURON product changes that. If the PB claims it enhances or improves anything, then he needs to state what impact it has on his warranty. The issues that it claims to fix (efflorescence, Water penetration, etc) are almost never an issue with a properly constructed pool and so it’s being added to “fix” a problem that doesn’t exist.

Other than that, everything else looks ok. I would ditch any pump driven cleaners and just go with a robot you can buy on your own. You can keep the cleaner line in the plumbing as long as it is a suction line so that you can do manual vacuuming as needed without having to attach stuff to the skimmer.

The AQURON concrete sealer sounds like a bunch of boloney to me and is not necessary.
Probably a trick they learned from auto dealers who sell fabric protector, tire protector, paint protector, undercoating etc. It costs the dealer about $20, but they charge hundreds or thousands.

Of course, if you decline, they no longer want to cover any failure under warranty. They will just say "We told you that you needed the Ultra Protection package, but you declined, too bad for you".

Do you mind sharing the total cost of the project? Also, how large is the area you are screening and the cost for footers and the screen. I am in Tampa and am in the midst of getting quotes for a similar size pool, though less decking and i think a smaller enclosure.

Reactions: PoolNewb2
Do you mind sharing the total cost of the project? Also, how large is the area you are screening and the cost for footers and the screen. I am in Tampa and am in the midst of getting quotes for a similar size pool, though less decking and i think a smaller enclosure.

Footers is 132 ln ft $3960

Total cost for enclosure with 20/20 screen walls , 18/14 roof, 2 doors (one with a XL dog door) is $20, 425.

The screen is on the higher side due to our roof line and pool being in the corner/side of the house. All of our proposals for the screen came in this range.

Total Cost $90K (includes heater pre-wire, extra light, 3 lighted bubblers, upgraded dark plaster, XL sun deck, allowance for tree stump removals)

($55 pool & 1058 sq ft deck pavers /$7 Material & Design upgrades/$3500 equip upgrades/$4 footers/ $20 screen)

Last edited:
Reactions: usfbull
What is the volume of the pool?

I would recommend an IntelliChlor rather than the iChlor. The iChlor is no different than the IntelliChlor, just packaged differently and has a lower chlorine output than an IC-40. With SWG’s and filters, going bigger is always better.

Saving $1,200 on a $90k build ($100k when all is said and done) probably isn’t worth the hassle/hard-sell/pushback the builder will give. Unless you’re trying to pinch every penny out of the deal, I wouldn’t bother. Or, maybe you can cancel the AQURON and use that money towards a bigger filter or upgraded SWG.

Reactions: Mrslac1
Total Cost $90K (also includes heater pre-wire, extra light, 3 lighted bubblers)
My joke to guests when they liked my bubblers would be ‘That’s so nice of you to say, they were only $30k each’.

None of these projects are cheap, but you will love yours and it will bring lots of good times. I would fight the Aquron coating. $1200 buys a decent amount of my time and it would certainly cost less of my time to argue it than pay for it. I would then promptly reinvest the savings into the SWG or Filter like Matt said.

Your pool builder gives you the sleeves off of his vest while skimping on the important items.

The IntelliConnect is a very basic entry level automation system dependent on the Pentair app and internet connection to Pentair servers. Read about it's limitations in Pentair Automation Systems - Further Reading

What specific model IntelliFlo pump? You don't want the ones with SVRS - Pentair IntelliFlo Pumps - Further Reading

Get a larger cartridge filter - CCP520

Pentair GloBrites have reliability issues and are in proprietary niches. Once you install them you are signing up for a few hundred replacement every few years. Consider installing a few MicroBrite lights where you have other alternatives. Pentair LED Pool Lights - Further Reading

Some people get brown stains in the abalone shells that have been added to their plaster.

The $1200 “value” he is assigning to the coating is funny. The word value means nothing in many cases. But he may just say it’s part of the dealio. I focused on total price of quotes as certain items varied greatly. Dropped items where I could and got a product I was happy with.

I did note that he has looped returns versus home run. Home run are better for more full control. Mine are not even looped though, but reduced on a dead end and are pretty equal. I’m not sure if the skimmers were home run and also separate from the main drain, but they should be. I like that main drain. A channel main drain is a good product. On the deck drains, I’d get the actual drains instead of sloping the concrete. If they don’t get it right, it’s a big hassle. Ask me how I know.

I also suggest the Pour-a-Lid skimmer covers. With a concrete deck, they make the skimmers invisible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.