Thoughts on deck and pool placement

rk05

Jan 20, 2018
cincy ohio
We still have some time before any of the actual pool digging begins but our retaining wall is in and we have been playing around with the pool placement. The original plan was for a 54' length by 25' wall be put in and set the pool 4' off the wall on the two sides. This would keep the waters edge 22' from the house and 11' deck space on the left (32'x16' pool). The wall got a little bigger to 58' x26'.

The deep end is farthest away from the house. Would you bump the pool out another foot or two on the long side and keep it to 4' off on the short deep end side? There is no diving board and I wouldn't think other than chairs to put in on that end. On the long side, even if I pushed the pool out to 6' off the wall lounge chairs would have to be angled to safely walk by.

I want to make sure maximize the deck space now.

Thanks

Attachments

• Pool_Layout.png
    Pool_Layout.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 41
So, if we stayed with our original offset numbers of 4' on both wall sides that would give us 22' from the house to the shallow end and 12' from the left side to the pool.

I have been hearing the term "you can never have to much deck space" but is 12' on the left side to much? The side between the house and pool will probably get some kind of bar/tiki hut some day.

This is all I have on my phone right now. Looking from the house out towards the pool there are steps going up the wall to our deck. On the left the pool deck will extend out about 6' from the edge of the house giving us 32' from wall to fence. There is going to be a berm on the other side of the fence with spring grove arborvitaes lining it to block the view.

We have two grade school age children and a dog. The dog will NOT be going into the pool since it is vinyl.

Attachments

• IMG_6135.jpg
    IMG_6135.jpg
    883.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6129.JPG
    IMG_6129.JPG
    531.6 KB · Views: 34
  • HouseBack.jpg
    HouseBack.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 30
Too bad that wall is already in...could have designed a really cool multilevel spa / pool with a waterfall into the pool. :(

That said, plan out the entire space, that will affect the layout. It’s always nice to look down to the pool when you hanging out on the patio, etc. Where is the pool equipment, shed / pool house, outdoor kitchen, shade structure etc?

Attachments

• 07947358-B6B1-4B09-8028-40EA36053FDF.jpeg
    07947358-B6B1-4B09-8028-40EA36053FDF.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 26
  • C654D6C8-DDE6-4AE4-8C7A-3E64D88F9B73.jpeg
    C654D6C8-DDE6-4AE4-8C7A-3E64D88F9B73.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I've already spent more than I wanted to spend on a pool to throw in a waterfall feature :eek:! I would be cool though.

I think I'm going to keep the equipment off around the corner of the house. If I put in a shed it will be on the other side of the property about 100' away. I have a decent amount of basement storage space that can be used.

The upper deck is my cooking area since it is right off the house by the kitchen. The basement walkout though has a small wet bar currently. Down the road I could expand the door way to a double door and increase the bar area.

Shade will be something to consider. The way everything sits there will be shade in the shallow part till early afternoon then full sun the rest of the day. I had planned on buying a couple of umbrellas to put around but not sure yet about a physical structure. A pergola at the back end of the patio by the deep end could be a good spot?

I would be careful proceeding with a pool 4ft off the wall. Not sure where you are but a 2' overdig puts you 2ft from a structural retaining wall straight down 3+ ft on unsupported ground. My engineer would laugh at me if I tried that and I personally would not attempt it. I am guessing with a wall that high you had engineering done and geogrid in the wall. Was the proposed pool in that plan? I'm not trying to scare you just want you to be aware of the logistics. Rule of thumb is at least height of wall in front of it b4 you dig. This is with no surcharge above wall and good soil and geogrid in the wall. Digging too close and a big rain could send it sliding out and down

Our pool deck is our backyard and runs parallel with the house and we love it. We probably have 20' to the pool. I did learn when I had a section of concrete replaced to slope the concrete away from the house so it make a "lower" spot so all the rain runs out and down the driveway..The built in drains weren't enough
Covered it 1 year and decided never again..Rather see pretty blue water then a dirty cover

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JTG, the wall is only 4' high so that we did not have to have it engineered. It does have two rows of geogrid in it to help. We have a lot of clay and that discussion was already taken up with the PB. The 4' mark was just for that reason. Actually he was more concerned with hitting the wall with his equipment than his over dig for the pool.

Ours is 42" here and we then need stamped drawings. Hopefully the PB knows the native ground and his work pace and can get in quick and backfilled quickly. 2ft in front of the wall is too close IMO the 4ft mark would be start of the overdig for me 6ft out for pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.