This is weird. I took the cover off the pool. it didn't look too bad. Bought nine bottles of bleach.

filix

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2010
maine
I put 3 gallons in to slam. Checked the water it showed no chlorine. but the water was clearing up. I put one more gallon in and kept in running all night. It was getting clearer. But my test still showed no chlorine. I put in 5 more gallons. Tested in a few hours. Still no chlorine in pool. The pool is just a little bit cloudy. So the bleach was doing something. Maybe old chlorine? So I went to another store that sells liquid pool shock. Its called Austin pool tech shock. Made in usa. active ingredient sodium hypochlorite. Has anybody used this shock before? It says to add one bottle to every 10,000 gallons of water. This is the first time this every happened. Help please. Filix.

Keep adding 10 ppm of CL every 15 minutes until it holds the CL then proceed with the SLAM Process

Sounds like you have some ammonia which is immediately consuming the CL. You need to keep at it until all the ammonia is gone.

What is your CYA? Have you added stabilizer? Do not add stabilizer until you can hold CL. Adding stabilizer is ammonia food and will create more.

Where are you located?

I'm located in southern Maine. I didn't check the cya. With no chlorine , I didn't bother checking anything else. Should I use the shock? Or just add more bleach? Thanks for the response.

That Austin's shock is bleach. It's just stronger than laundry bleach. It'll work fine.

And what you're doing -- dumping 3 gallons of bleach in -- is not a SLAM Process. To SLAM Process, you need to hit the algae hard and often. Without knowing the CYA level, you don't know if that much bl;each is a knockout punch, a love tap, or a nuclear blast.
This is a SLAM Process:

What test kit do you have? You need a test kit like the TF-100 Test Kits that can test CL over 10 ppm to raise FC enough during the SLAM Process to nuke the algae.

CYA can degrade naturally over the winter. You can also get a bacteria that converts CYA to ammonia. Sounds like the bacteria to me. You have to get past the bacteria and ammonia before you can add CYA. Otherwise you just create more ammonia.

I got it to hold chlorine, now im adding cya. I will check the cya tonight. and use the chart and shock accordingly. Where would the Ammonia have come from? Thanks. Filix.

It takes more then 24 hours for stabilizer to fully dissolve and give an accurate CYA reading. If you used PoolMath to calculate the CYA you should have for the amount of stabilizer added, then use that CYA level in the FC/CYA Levels for your shock FC level.

Ammonia comes from bacteria getting into the water and feeding on the CYA.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tested for CYA. My test shows none. So I just came back from the store with two containers of stabilizer. Where did all my cya go? last year I had 40ppm.
I'm in N. Central Idaho so similar to your winters in Maine. I've lived here for a couple of years and have twice opened my pool to zero CYA. Fortunately, my pool responded to chlorine additions as expected and held FC from day one this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.