This is a first for me!

ivyleager

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 6, 2007
Raleigh-Durham,NC
CarysTurkey5-3-08003.jpg

Well, actually it's the second tom I've ever taken, but the first one I got TOTALLY on my own. Hubby took daughter to soccer game in the morning so I could go out an try calling me a turkey. (Hubby has filled his 2 turkey tags for the year). Went up to our lease and was in the woods by 6am, and and was home by 10am. Later that night we feasted on grilled wild turkey.

Hay congrats ivyleager I have never bin a hunter but have always let people hunt in my woods and fields. We have a lot of turkey and and few are brought out so I would have to say it is tough to get one. Maybe you got it with that great smile. :-D

MikeInTN said:
Wow...got it in four hours? Impressive!!! :bowdown:
Thank you, but really got him in a little over one hour. I was about to head out of the woods to make it back for my daughters soccer game....hadn't heard a gobble all morning. Walked down to the field, and while on my way, heard a gobble on the other side and diagnonally from me. Now, usually this gobbler hens up and crosses the creek to get to some higher fields. (I hate crossing the creek......don't ask.) That day, he wasn't moving. Waiting for the hens to come was my guess. So, I played along and kept clucking and yelping, and he kept answering with gobbles. I walked along the field, about 30 yards back in the woods so the cagey tom wouldn't spot me. I'd slink up to the field every once and a while, call, then he'd gobble right back. After about 45 minutes of this, I got a good look at him and one hen about 75 yards away on the edge of the field. Practically crawled my way to about 15 yards in from the edge of the field, positioned my self, wanted to call again but realized I dropped my striker somewhere during the crawl, and he strutted for about 35-40 yards right to me (That was COOL!) and when I got the opening........................

I reminded my husband that there are turkey's in Hawaii!!!

CaryB

Spectacular looking tom you have there! Our spring turkey season just ended this past weekend and I didn't end up with one this year. Maybe next year.

Craig

ivyleager said:
MikeInTN said:
Wow...got it in four hours? Impressive!!! :bowdown:
Thank you, but really got him in a little over one hour. I was about to head out of the woods to make it back for my daughters soccer game....hadn't heard a gobble all morning. Walked down to the field, and while on my way, heard a gobble on the other side and diagnonally from me. Now, usually this gobbler hens up and crosses the creek to get to some higher fields. (I hate crossing the creek......don't ask.) That day, he wasn't moving. Waiting for the hens to come was my guess. So, I played along and kept clucking and yelping, and he kept answering with gobbles. I walked along the field, about 30 yards back in the woods so the cagey tom wouldn't spot me. I'd slink up to the field every once and a while, call, then he'd gobble right back. After about 45 minutes of this, I got a good look at him and one hen about 75 yards away on the edge of the field. Practically crawled my way to about 15 yards in from the edge of the field, positioned my self, wanted to call again but realized I dropped my striker somewhere during the crawl, and he strutted for about 35-40 yards right to me (That was COOL!) and when I got the opening........................

I reminded my husband that there are turkey's in Hawaii!!!

CaryB

VERY COOL!!! Not many I know will hunt the bird - they usually stay in a blind and try to call 'em in...so for actually hunting the tom, you get :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

A funny turkey story - years ago, the wifey and I went on a hayride with a bunch of her co-workers on a farm out west of Nashville. The gent who owned the farm didn't allow anyone to hunt on it, and as such, he had a nice little flock of wild turkeys that had taken up residence. As we're riding through the pasture on the wagon, we all see the turkeys flying up in the trees to roost for the night. One of the gals pointed at them and asked "what the heck kind of birds are those??" I looked at her and said "those are wild turkeys"; she looked at me and started laughing, and said "oh my God, I didn't know turkeys could fly!" :) I told her "well, the wild ones can fly very well..the domestic ones, not so much". Made me instantly flash back on an old "WKRP in Cinncinati" episode where Herb gets the bright idea to have a turkey giveaway promotion at the local mall, and gets Mr. Carlson to buy in to do it. Well, Les is doing a live broadcast at the mall, and you hear him say "Oh look..here comes a plane with a banner...it says...Happy...Thanksgiving...Cinncinati...from..W...K...R...P!....oh look, there's skydivers jumping from the plane....they're falling....getting closer....and closer....no parachutes yet....closer.....OH MY GOD, THEY'RE TURKEYS!!! TURKEYS FALLING FROM THE SKY!!! THEY'RE HITTING THE PAVEMENT LIKE SACKS OF WET CEMENT!!! PEOPLE ARE RUNNING, SCREAMING!!!...ONE JUST WENT THROUGH A WINDSHIELD!!...OH THE HUMANITY!!!....." :lol: :lol:

Later, Herb and Mr. Carlson show back up at the station, both dazed and covered in white turkey feathers..and Mr. Carlson said "As God as my witness....I thought turkeys could fly"... :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm counting a 9 pointer!

Anyone wanna confirm? :mrgreen:

He'd look nice mounted since he's your first! 8)

Cary, betwixt your African adventure and the "back yard" hunting - it looks like you've had a fun year :goodjob: Congrats on your 'claims'! Those are very good looking animals you've 'taken' ! I hope they taste as good as they look :chef: :goodjob:

Call me a republican, but I firmly believe in 'thinning' the herd as long as the meat goes to good use 8)

Glad you were able to get such nice 'food' :wink:

Luv & Luk

Ted

Adding to the collection. Re: This is a first for me!

[attachment=1:lsywv7wb]DSC02133.JPG[/attachment:lsywv7wb]
[attachment=0:lsywv7wb]DSC02134.JPG[/attachment:lsywv7wb]

Last day of turkey hunting in NC on Saturday and I took this big Jake. Big body but only a 4.5 inch beard. He was one of 5 Jakes chasing a hen. (Couldn't tell if she looked worried or happy!) The gobblers just wouldn't come out of the woods. I'd like turkey hunting a lot more if it weren't for the ticks, and chiggers though. Nasty.

Attachments

• DSC02133.JPG
    DSC02133.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC02134.JPG
    DSC02134.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 228
NICE! I remember when you first started this thread! :cool: The gobblers are pretty much done here in PA due to an early and very mild Spring. I didn't even go out yet. I have a hunt planned for Friday morning on the hill here for one lone gobbler who has a hen up top. I have been told he has a double beard. We shall see...

Congrats on your thunderchicken! :cool:

Awesome! Congrats!!! I missed turkey season this year. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.