This doesn't look good.

rmiller23

Mar 23, 2020
Texas
Pressure valve doesn't reach over 15 but drops to 0 and then climbs back to 15--rinse and repeat. Basket also not staying primed when I turn on filter. When backwashing the flow goes from normal to low and etc.

**SOLVED** Skimmer Flap/Wall was stuck preventing water and creating a suction of air.

Attachments

Last edited:

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Sounds like your pool water level is too low. Is air getting sucked into the skimmer?

Can't comment on the backwash debris.

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
If there is no vortexing going on in the skimmer the level is probably ok, but some skimmers are not equal. Mine was installed a bit high so half at the mouth isn't enough. About half an inch higher is my minimum fill level. To prevent vortexing and sucking air in.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
That water sloshing around in your pump strainer basket tells you you have a fairly significant suction side leak. Regardless of what's suggested go look at your skimmer with the pump running and make sure you are not sucking air.

Assuming you are not, then read the article in pool school on suction side leaks. They are often hard to find but, then, pretty easy to fix.

Reactions: lager1829

rmiller23

Mar 23, 2020
Texas
You are the man, Dave. I ran it and checked the skimmers. Furthest away had the skimmer flap stuck preventing water flow. Thank you greatly. Headache over.

Reactions: borjis