thinkng of upgrades/changes ... need some advice from the experts!

ta2dwonderwoman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
fall river ks
I just found this forum a few weeks back during a super traumatic pool store experience...but after reading things, I know it could have been way worse and I got off easy! I have learned to keep my pool clean and clear the TFP way and I LOVE it so much, but I have a few things I am thinking about and could use some help with...

I have stage 3 COPD (emphysema basically) and it is very hard on me to lug gallons of bleach around and go thru the measuring and pouring process, not to mention the risk of breathing the fumes ... I get winded talking emphatically with my hands, so you can imagine how this must be I think...

I am considering an SWG to eliminate some of this physical work - looking for anyone to let me know the pros and cons, give me an idea of how much salt I might have to start off with and how much I would need to add during the swimming season. I know you would need to see my actual test results to answer this exactly, and pool math can get me some ideas, but really just looking for a ballpark idea.

also, I have a 2500 gph, catridge b type pump on my pool and it seems to be doing great , but I have been running it 24/7 for fear of having issues...can I back that down and not have any worries? and I am wondering if I need a bigger pump or if I am ok with what I have? also, wondering if I should go with a sand filter system instead of cartridge? I read that the cartridges are better filters but sand is easier care...I am mostly interested in doing what is right for my pool and won't run me into the poor house and I am physically capable of doing...

I have read several threads but it all gets to be so much so I was hoping I could get some direct help with my particular situation...thanks in advance and I appreciate you all so much!

I can't answer your pump question other than to say that many above ground pool owners on here do upgrade their pump and filter system because the ones that come with the pools are woefully inadequate.

As far as a SWG, it is by far the easiest as far as convenience, etc. The first thing you need to do is order the Taylor salt test kit and test your current water for salt (I was surprised how much I already had). Then you can use PoolMath to figure how much salt you will need (3200 ppm is a good starting point). Salt only comes out of the water with splash out, so you only need to add it very infrequently. The other big difference is that you will be adding Muriatic Acid a little more frequently but it is nothing like chugging bleach around every day.

Oh, and as far as sand vs. cartridge it really is personal preference. If you like what you have, no need to switch

does the tf100 test kit have the salt test in it ? I don't have mine handy to look...
clear.gif

Once or twice a year you will probably need to add salt, but have a store employee put it in the car for you and then you just have to get it from your car to in the pool. They run around 40 lbs each. I have 3 bags sitting in the back of my car because I'm waiting for someone else to lug them for me. :D

Maintenance is super easy. I have only spent $50 at the pool store this year.

With the heat we are dealing with in Kansas this last few weeks I went through 10 gallons of bleach in two weeks which was only $25 but when I needed more it wasn't on sale for $2.50 a gallon anymore it was closer to $4... so that's also part of my equation

I understand your motivation. I have asthma (several rounds of lung infections), Crohn's and several other issues related to the treatment. I've been sick for the last 2 years and finally installed a SWG this year. There were some days where I just didn't have the strength to go outside and dump bleach in the pool and couldn't make it out to the store to buy bleach.

I really love having less maintenance. I had my son handle the salt for me and the big box hardware store put the salt in my car for me.

For manual bleach folks, the pump run time isn't a factor in keeping algae in check... proper chemistry keeps the pool from becoming a green mess.

That is a lot of bleach for your size pool. What is your CYA? You might want to consider bumping it up a little bit. Make sure that your FC is at the target for your CYA level (see my sig for the chart).

I am at 50 cya and it is just because of the excessive heat I have been advised. it should drop down to normal levels as the heat drops a bit. I have been putting my fc level to 9 and letting it drop to 4 - will see how it goes for a week or so with less heat and see if that is the issue. not losing any chlorine at night :) almost never have any CC when I check it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.