Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
So my wife and I have been thinking about automation and a vs pump. Neither of which was offered by our builder. Since most of our equipment is Hayward, we’d probably go omnilogic. Is it possible to install yourself or does it require an electrician? how hard is it to install the valve actuators? I know it won’t control the colors of our lights but will control on/off, which would be nice.

Also, our current superpump 2hp is pretty good, but running it for 12 hours a day so the swg can make enough chlorine is going to get expensive. Thinking about getting a vs in the future, also wondering if it would be possible to maybe run a separate pump for the waterfalls. And if I get the vs, is there a market for barely used pumps to offset the cost?

BEE4F766-9E52-4F20-AB42-E33C58D46734.jpeg

C,

If you have a good background in basic electrical work, and have an understanding of how your pool equipment works, then installing an automation system is a good DIY project.

The downside is that you will not get much of a warranty from Hayward, Pentair or Jandy.

The fact that you ask how it install a valve actuator, which is just 4 screws, makes me believe that you might want to do a little research first.

Thanks,

Jim R.

C,

If you have a good background in basic electrical work, and have an understanding of how your pool equipment works, then installing an automation system is a good DIY project.

The downside is that you will not get much of a warranty from Hayward, Pentair or Jandy.

The fact that you ask how it install a valve actuator, which is just 4 screws, makes me believe that you might want to do a little research first.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Haha. Well that sounds a lot easier than I expected.

why wouldn’t I get a warranty if I self-install?

Ceph,

I installed two automation systems in the past couple years. First (Jandy RS iAqualink) was to upgrade, second was due to a lightning strike on the first system. Warranty is reduced a lot by Pentair and Hayward but eliminated by Jandy. Jandy also eliminates warranty for any purchases online except valves and valve parts.

For installation you need to be familiar with wiring 240 v panel. Installation of the panel box on home exterior, adding actuators on valves (usually only two) and then configuration of system are pretty easy for a good DIYer. Pentair has the best systems to chose from in my opinion but they all work about the same way. If you want to tackle this and are unsure of the electrical just hire a local electrician. It will be a good safe installation and you'll learn a lot.

I believe the reason they limit warranty is what Jim said plus they probably don't see much profit and have to provide a lot of customer support required for people that tackle this by themselves and really shouldn't. I'm OK for short warranty for certain things like automation since manufacturing defects usually show up in hours not years. This is not the case for SWG. All brands have a few failures in the first year or two. The repair is expensive so it makes sense to make sure you have warranty. You can do this two ways. Buy 3rd party from a reputable seller and DIY (they generally give you full warranty for DIY) or do a paid installation from an authorized rep.

There are some benefits from using same brand pump and automation but other equipment benefits are marginal. If it were me I'd consider a Pentair pump (highly regarded by our experts) and a Pentair automation system (my strong preference).

I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: Cephrael
Ceph,

I installed two automation systems in the past couple years. First (Jandy RS iAqualink) was to upgrade, second was due to a lightning strike on the first system. Warranty is reduced a lot by Pentair and Hayward but eliminated by Jandy. Jandy also eliminates warranty for any purchases online except valves and valve parts.

For installation you need to be familiar with wiring 240 v panel. Installation of the panel box on home exterior, adding actuators on valves (usually only two) and then configuration of system are pretty easy for a good DIYer. Pentair has the best systems to chose from in my opinion but they all work about the same way. If you want to tackle this and are unsure of the electrical just hire a local electrician. It will be a good safe installation and you'll learn a lot.

I believe the reason they limit warranty is what Jim said plus they probably don't see much profit and have to provide a lot of customer support required for people that tackle this by themselves and really shouldn't. I'm OK for short warranty for certain things like automation since manufacturing defects usually show up in hours not years. This is not the case for SWG. All brands have a few failures in the first year or two. The repair is expensive so it makes sense to make sure you have warranty. You can do this two ways. Buy 3rd party from a reputable seller and DIY (they generally give you full warranty for DIY) or do a paid installation from an authorized rep.

There are some benefits from using same brand pump and automation but other equipment benefits are marginal. If it were me I'd consider a Pentair pump (highly regarded by our experts) and a Pentair automation system (my strong preference).

I hope this helps.

Chris
Thanks Both of you. Lots more research to do I guess. my system is only a year old so I’m not rushing into this. Just wish it had been offered at install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.