Thermal Cover Problem/Idea

Oct 22, 2017
Woodbridge/VA
Don’t believe I’ve posted here before. I have an in-ground 18x36, 30k gallon, liner pool. I use a solar cover 6 months out of the year to cover my pool. I like to keep my pool warm (high 80s to low 90s). I find that the solar cover not only heats the water, but also helps immensely with keeping heat in and evaporation down at night.

The biggest problem I have is that I haven’t found a cover that lasts more than a season (maybe 2 tops) because the little bubble deteriorate and end up everywhere. I KNOW a lot has to do with the fact that I keep it on the reel in direct sunlight many times. I purchased a wrap to cover the cover once on the reel so we will see what happens there.

BUT couldn’t someone develop a bubble cover with the thick material on both sides of the bubble. I realize that would most likely cut down on the reflection hearing properties of a bubble cover, but I feel it would last a LOT longer and still keep the warmth in the pool overnight where most of the heat is lost. I don’t know. Just an idea. Or maybe some type that isn’t necessarily tiny bubbles, but like a corrugated cardboard plastic sheet. I don’t know. I’d think engineers could work this out, and I’d pay good money for a cover that would last longer.

You might also pay twice as much to get double the life. 🤷‍♂️ If it cost more than that it wouldn’t be worth it in the long run. After doing the dance a few times most folks get the cheapest cover they can find and expect to replace them every 1-2 years. The plus side is the thinner covers are so much easier to manage, which is 98% of the PITA.

Either way, the solar cover - cover will help a lot. I had the clear one and it would literally boil and steam in between the layers on the reel in July/Aug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.