there is to many kits

countryboy20

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 27, 2010
Ok well really only 3 the TF-100 and the taylor 2005, or 2006. so here is my question. what one do i get? no just kidding! i really like taylor and want to maybe start to clean pools for my friend pool business and that made me lean more to taylor and then more to getting the PRO model 2006C. so what are your thoughts?

Welcome to TFP!

The TF-100 uses Taylor reagents and comes with larger quantities of the tests you use frequently, so it ends up being a much better deal. Ben's kit is no longer available, so that doesn't really count.

Tftestkits.net is not "someone making kits in there garage". No one has better customer service and there are thousands of satisfied customers on this site who can give you first hand testing advice.

I've had my TF100 for 3 summers now (with the occasional refill of CYA and FC test reagents.) I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as the best kit with the best value on the market.

countryboy20 said:
! i just feel that a taylor kit will have higher standards and be fresher than some one making kits in there garage?

I've typically found that my online sources have fresher product than local stores for lots of things; vitamins, special cooking oils, so many specialty items are that way. Local stores don't seem to move a lot of test kits, and therefor the markup has to be pretty high. Sometimes it seems they actively discourage home testing as it could deprive them of a chance to sell products.

I just wish I could find a site for popcorn -- I just hate microwave popcorn and my Stir Crazy does a perfect job of it but the grocery store popcorn is stale.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
countryboy20 said:
look at the site they say you get double the reactants in the 100 from 1 oz to 2 oz so does the 100xl have 4 oz then? http://tftestkits.net/TFTestkits-TF-100-p4.html

Read carefully...that is only true for the R-0871 in the TF100, it used to be 1oz and now it is 2oz.

The TF-100 XL differs from the TF-100 by containing double the amount of R-0870 powder (20g instead of 10g) and R-0871 (4oz instead of 2oz).

(Hum, dmanb2b was faster, but there is some extra info here.)

The difference between the TF-100 and the TF-100XL is spelled out exactly on the TFTestKits.net site:
TFtestKits.net said:
The TF-100 XL differs from the TF-100 by containing double the amount of R-0870 and R-0871. These two reagents are used in testing very accurately for high levels of chlorine....something you will need to do frequently if you have a green, swampy pool or you are converting from baquacil.
The TF-100 has 10g of R-0870 and 2 oz of R-0871. The TF-100XL has 20 g of R-0870 and 4 oz of R-0871.

I have the Taylor 2005 kit, I paid $180 CDN for it from the only pool store that had an advanced kit in stock.

Its a good kit, has everything you might need to maintain your pool although salt is not part of the kit. The manual (waterproof!) that came with the kit is exceptionally good and seems to support using household chemicals to maintain your pool as it gives common measures for pool sizes to raise and lower important factors (although it does not mention borates).

I have been very happy with it. :goodjob:

The Taylor K-2005 does not contain the FAS/DPD chlorine test. That test is virtually essential for measuring high FC accurately which is an important part of BBB. The 2005 is a good kit but is missing that VERY important test.

Both the Taylor K-2006 and the TF-100 contain the FAS/DPD chlorine test.

duraleigh said:
The Taylor K-2005 does not contain the FAS/DPD chlorine test. That test is virtually essential for measuring high FC accurately which is an important part of BBB. The 2005 is a good kit but is missing that VERY important test.

Both the Taylor K-2006 and the TF-100 contain the FAS/DPD chlorine test.

Your right it only does DPD Chlorine but it lets me measure to 25ppm FC just not as accurately. For FC/TC levels of 10ppm and under it works fine, I can tell the color differences between 1 to 5ppm and 5 to 9ppm quite easily using distilled water at 50%.

The FAS/DPD is better for those that have trouble determining colors or who need to maintain a FC level above 10 if the CYA is high, it may be more accurate but I question how much more accurate do you need to be if I can determine +- 1 ppm up to 10ppm FC? Remember shipping chemicals to another country can be a pain (hence why I bought locally), nobody had the K2006 kit in stock here. Pinpoint accuracy is great and having one test to cover a broader range of values is handy...if its required. For normal daily maintenance on a pool with a CYA level under 60 or so the CK2005 kit will work fine especially once you get a feel for it and see how chemical additions affect your pool chemistry, however it does take a bit more experience and skill to read accurately.

I am satisfied with the results from a more basic kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.