The start of a long journey - New Pool Build

jkxpooldesign

Jun 27, 2019
Florida
Hi all, long time lurker and first time poster here. I have learned a ton from all the good information on this forum and I think I'm ready to start my journey. I am early on in the process and I am currently starting to interview pool builders here in the Orlando, FL area. I found a nice and responsive local guy who does pools and is a little more independent in comparison to some of the bigger pool companies.

Here are the specs on what he has to offer:

-Pool 15x30' 3 1/2 - 6 ft Deep
-7 ' Sun shelf in the Pool - 9" Deep to waterline
- 3 Jandy Color Nichless Lights - Color LED
- Wet Edge Interior Finish - Up to Level 2 (Lifetime Warranty) Signature Matrix
- 6x6 Tile
- Jandy Pump VSPHP270AUT - 2.7 Variable Speed Pump
- Jandy Filter CS200
- Umbrella Sleeve in Sun shelf
- Includes all the engineering, permits, from start to finish
- Paver Deck - Color Choice of Homeowners
- Paver Coping around Pool
- Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG
- 4 Surface Returns
- (2) Bubblers on sunshelf
- Baby Fence around Pool
- IAqualink Automation
- (2) Laminar Deck Jets on Back Side of Pool

Is there anything that I am missing or should be considering ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• Waterside 01.jpg
    Waterside 01.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Waterside 02.jpg
    Waterside 02.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
jkx,

It all looks good to me except the filter.. The bigger the filter, the less often you will need to clean it..

If you look at the pics we have from the Florida branch of TFP, you will see they seem to believe that smaller is better... I just don't understand it.. It seems like Florida pool builders are in a competition to see just how small a filter they get away with installing... :mrgreen:

While the one you have listed will work, you can never go too big with a cartridge filter..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jkxpooldesign
jkx,

It all looks good to me except the filter.. The bigger the filter, the less often you will need to clean it..

If you look at the pics we have from the Florida branch of TFP, you will see they seem to believe that smaller is better... I just don't understand it.. It seems like Florida pool builders are in a competition to see just how small a filter they get away with installing... :mrgreen:

While the one you have listed will work, you can never go too big with a cartridge filter..

Thanks,

Jim R.
I don't see mention of a chlorination method.....did I miss that? Also..3'6" is a bit too shallow for real swimming as you'll scrape your knuckles. I'd suggest 4'.

Maddie :flower:

This quote has SWCG in it using the Jandy Aquapure IC 400.

I thought about 4’ though I have a 5 year old and it’ll take him some time before he can enjoy a 4’ shallow end.

Move the pool closer to the rear fence (will add more patio space). Add a stepped rear wall with 3 sheer descents in the wall, and remove the bubblers, the pool chairs will be over them...

Attachments

• 05A8A85F-2BBD-4C4E-8222-87B07DF7125F.jpeg
    05A8A85F-2BBD-4C4E-8222-87B07DF7125F.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reactions: beautifulpool
Make sure you are clear on what the builder will repair after the build (fence, sod, sprinklers, drainage, etc.) to avoid any hidden costs.

I also didnt see anything about a pool cleaner. I would look at a robotic cleaner.

Reactions: jkxpooldesign
I thought about 4’ though I have a 5 year old and it’ll take him some time before he can enjoy a 4’ shallow end.

My kids are now 11 and 15 and being girls into cheerleading and whatnot the 3.5ft is uncomfortable for them to do handstands and back flip like things. They like to practice all the moves in the pool where it doesn’t hurt if they miss. Too much of them is out of the water than in the water so it makes it awkward. For the adults, my 3.5 ft is too shallow to comfortably bob around and too deep to sit. So we all have to kneel if we just want to lounge. Your little one will be big enough in a year or 2 and then probably want more water for the next 10 years. Also the people who swim laps tend to say they prefer more than 3.5ft to do so. Going with a deeper shallow end never even crossed my mind but now I wish it did. Just my $.02 if it helps.

Yay new pool either way.

My kids are now 11 and 15 and being girls into cheerleading and whatnot the 3.5ft is uncomfortable for them to do handstands and back flip like things. They like to practice all the moves in the pool where it doesn’t hurt if they miss. Too much of them is out of the water than in the water so it makes it awkward. For the adults, my 3.5 ft is too shallow to comfortably bob around and too deep to sit. So we all have to kneel if we just want to lounge. Your little one will be big enough in a year or 2 and then probably want more water for the next 10 years. Also the people who swim laps tend to say they prefer more than 3.5ft to do so. Going with a deeper shallow end never even crossed my mind but now I wish it did. Just my $.02 if it helps.

Yay new pool either way.

Very good perspective, thank you. My wife is 5'1", in part I was thinking 4' will already be fairly deep for her to relax and just lounge vs having to stand and bob the entire time in the shallow end. I guess I'll have to pull ou the tape measure and see where the water line would be for her at 3'6" and 4'. For me, I'd prefer the 4 - 6 for the reasons mentioned above.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make sure you are clear on what the builder will repair after the build (fence, sod, sprinklers, drainage, etc.) to avoid any hidden costs.

I also didnt see anything about a pool cleaner. I would look at a robotic cleaner.

I need to ask about cleaners, but I do plan on doing a robot after the fact. I know that some builders automatically add a vac line to the build, is that something that necessary?

My wife is 5'2", was not a strong swimmer and has no desire to become a better swimmer. We have lots of floats for her and she enjoys it just as much as the rest of us

All jokes aside we bought small, medium and large waterski style life vests. They have come in handy many times for various sized people who wouldn’t have enjoyed themselves as much without them. And when a smaller kid/ tween needs one it sooooo helps with piece of mind. My kids are fish. Many of their friends aren’t.

A
All jokes aside we bought small, medium and large waterski style life vests. They have come in handy many times for various sized people who wouldn’t have enjoyed themselves as much without them. And when a smaller kid/ tween needs one it sooooo helps with piece of mind. My kids are fish. Many of their friends aren’t.
Agreed, we'll have plenty of flotation assistance. My son does not know how to swim yet as we never had the urgent need as our last home did not have a pool in the backyard.

The puddle jumpers are AMAZING for little ones. The elementary schoolers want something less baby-ish to stand out less.

I need to ask about cleaners, but I do plan on doing a robot after the fact. I know that some builders automatically add a vac line to the build, is that something that necessary?
Not necessary at all. I just didnt see anything listed for a cleaner and didnt want you to be shocked that you would have to shell out extra $ for a cleaner.

Nothing takes the fun out of a new pool like thousands of extra dollars having to be spent unexpectedly to clean the pool, put the fence back up, sod the yard, fix sprinklers, etc. I was just making sure you were aware of the extra expense if the builder didnt have it listed in the quote.

Reactions: Newdude
Not necessary at all. I just didnt see anything listed for a cleaner and didnt want you to be shocked that you would have to shell out extra $ for a cleaner.

Nothing takes the fun out of a new pool like thousands of extra dollars having to be spent unexpectedly to clean the pool, put the fence back up, sod the yard, fix sprinklers, etc. I was just making sure you were aware of the extra expense if the builder didnt have it listed in the quote.

I definitely will ask about that, thank you. I was earmarking a few $s for new landscaping to create a buffer around the pool and neighbors for privacy.

We put every available penny into the pool and patio so putting the yard back was on me and took 2 seasons to get to where it started. I had all of my sprinkler lines cut between the pool and removing the 12 oak stumps in the general area. Then had to grow the grass back Then the next couple of years adding flowerbeds/plants and bushes. I knew exactly what I was signing myself up for when we started and it was still overwhelming. When I had the time I didn’t have the money and vice versa. Once the yard looked amazing, our 30 year old deck and sliding glass doors were an eyesore by comparison. 7 years in and it’s all beautiful and I would do it again in a heartbeat. But what a can of worms it was getting there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.