The Pool that wouldn’t clear...

BPool18

Jun 14, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Hi all. I had another post regarding opening my pool, but that has long come and gone so I’ve created a new thread that hopefully will shed some light on my situation.

I opened the pool on May 4 (green swamp). Followed SLAM protocol. Pool went 100% blue within 1.5 weeks, however was still cloudy. Maintained SLAM levels and brushed and did DE exercise numerous times. Passed OCLT for
1.5 weeks before discussing with Marty that we didn’t believe it was an FC prob.

Marty began helping me (HUGE help - thank you), and after 2 weeks or so of no improvement in cloudiness, did a deep clean of sand filter. Afterwards, cloudiness did improve but very marginally. Discussed with Marty and agreed to keep FC at 10% or greater of cya (raised to 50). For the last 2 weeks, I’ve kept it at 6 and haven’t had to touch it - 100% stabilized. Cloudiness was actually improving - extremely slowly, but improving, began to see deep end etc.

Yesterday morning realized our birch tree (next to pool), was a bit stressed. Dropping lot of leaves, which we’re getting into pool. Was diligent about clearing skimmers every few hours. Noticed this morning that FC has dropped to 5 (normally, has been stabile at 6), perhaps due to leaves. Took a look at the pool, and looked like we had taken a step back in the wrong direction - deep end looked cloudy yet again and worse than the last week of marginal improvement. Granted, today was a cloudy/rainy day so the view could have been skewed by overcast skies - but still cloudy nonetheless.

Discussed with Marty and raised FC back up to 10 just in case. PH is 7.8/7.9. TA is 60. Cya is 50. can do an OCLT again tonight, but I just have no idea what is going on - over 4 weeks of inability to get water crystal clear, and not sure if this tree issue is related or just a coincidence.

Again, my pool is not green and is very blue. It’s simply cloudy and progressively worse as you get toward the deep end. Ive been Extremely diligent the past 1 month plus on doing everything I can to get it back to how we had it last summer. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Since Marty has been helping you all along, my best guess is that something was added to the water that you cant account for. The only thing to do is keep at it with lots of POP.

Were/are you following the procedures to add DE to your sand filter to assist with the cloudiness?

Yes. I’ve done the DE exercise numerous times. Several weeks ago, I did it few days back to back actually. Adding DE to raise 1 psi, then monitoring - would last 4 hours or so until 25% increase then I would backwash. Then I would repeat exercise. I’ve done this numerous times.

Not an expert, but if you can't run a week or more without pressure rising with DE then you still have a lot your pulling out which would explain cloudy.
Havent seen your first posts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd try one night of not running the filter. My guess is that you have a lot of dead algae, which is like a powder, and your inlets are churning it up. Turning the filter off for a night may let it settle to the bottom and then you can vacuum it up.

Are your inlets pointed down?

What size is your sand filter? I also think turning off the filter overnight and letting everything settle is a good idea. Also, when you turn the pump on in the morning, hold a clean white sock over the return and see if you catch any debris being spit out by the filter. Let the pump run a minute or so while you hold the sock over the return then turn the filter off again and inspect the sock. If there is nothing in the sock, use a manual vacuum and vacuum slowly to waste.

I generally would have no problem turning the filter off but as my birch tree keeps shedding leaves m (skimmer baskets getting a bit full every 2-3 hours) not sure if It’s a good idea to not have the pump skimming right now

Just checked FC. It’s down to 5. It was 9-10 about 7 hours ago. Something is going on as it has been very stable FC wise last 3 weeks.

The only change that I know of is the leaves falling.

I lowered PH to 7.2 and brought back up to SLAM level for overnight.

Last edited:
This morning: The good news is the pool looks almost like it did prior to all these leaves. FC is 22.5. So no drop overnight from the 3 gallons I put in. I really have no idea...

Put the robot in and added some DE..

Last edited:
My two cents...Switch to Fiber Clear. It does a much better job. I used to use DE and switched a couple of years ago. At night I have zero haze. My size filter calls for four scoops, and I only use two, and I still have to backwash a lot. I tried one scoop, and I still had haze at night, so I stick with two scoops. My water is so clear it is the first thing people say when they look at my pool.

I keep my chlorine on the higher side of my range, brush my pool well once a week and the bottom pretty much daily in some form. We have a lot of mulch, and it is windy here, and I get a lot in my pool, everything gets pushed to my main drain. I also use hairnets in my skimmer and believe it saves some backwashing.

Thanks. I’ll look into it.

Well, I can’t explain it, but I just checked pool and cleaned leaves etc.

Pool has never looked more clear - in all my efforts this past 30-40 days. Overcast day here

FC is still 22-23. PH has climbed a bit to 7.6/7.7, though FC is above 10 so this can’t be taken as truth. TA is now 80. Not sure how this is possible as I used some MA last night to bring the PH closer to 7.2 for the SLAM. Would have thought this have lowered TA.

This morning I added a little bit of DE, less than I normally do - not even to get a initial rise of 1 psi. Then I have been running robot.

It’s certainly not 100% clear but it’s def the best it’s looked in weeks. I’m really not sure how/or what contributed to the rapid clearing or best way to proceed forward...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.