"The pool Cleaner"/ Poolvergnugen information

Davegvg

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 30, 2008
Does anyone know what the lowest GPM the suction side version will operate effectively at?

I'm running my Jandy Epump slowly 30GPM around 335 watts and was wondering if it would perform better than my Barracuda G4 under these conditions?

Not unhappy with the barracuda, but the pool cleaner has good reviews and I'm curious.

One downside Im concerned about is that I think in a plaster pool the constant rubbing on the plaster by the barracudas foot alleviates the majority of the need to brush whereas the pool cleaners wheels are a much smaller contact point and dont really scrub the pool.

Here's a quick vid of my setup....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYN92oAcPgc

Dave

simicrintz said:
Optimum wheel speed is 11-13 rpm, per the manual (I am assuming you have a suction side cleaner!). GPM will be important, but you will have to adjust for proper wheel speed anyway. Here's a link to the manual, in case you don't have it: http://www.thepoolcleaner.com/PoolCleanerSUCTION.pdf

Bruce

This is good info, thanks. Yes I am inquiring about suction side cleaning.
The info leads me to believe that much of the suction gets bled off before it hits the unit so maybe it doenst need a lot of GPM to function properly.

Id still like to know the minimum GPM if anyone has that info.

Dave

It's really gonna depend on how many other areas you are pulling water from (dedicated pool cleaner suction line, skimmer(s), main drain). Just pulling from the cleaner itself will require much less gpm that pulling from multiple areas.

How is your pool plumbed and what are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to get just the least gpm on the cleaner alone, or on the whole pool combined?

Bruce

simicrintz said:
It's really gonna depend on how many other areas you are pulling water from (dedicated pool cleaner suction line, skimmer(s), main drain). Just pulling from the cleaner itself will require much less gpm that pulling from multiple areas.

How is your pool plumbed and what are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to get just the least gpm on the cleaner alone, or on the whole pool combined?

Bruce

Agreed, Im pulling from 3 sources.

A Polaris LCS to give me back skimmer functionality, plus the main drain, and the cleaner.
I'm looking to keep the whole thing functional on as low a GPM as I can get and not have hose bind stick the cleaner against a wall.

RIgh't now I'm getting what I would consider pretty good "holistic" performance for 330 watts of energy usage, and when the solar tap opens the system is pumping about 550 watts and the setup really comes alive for 4-6 hours a day.

Likely I should stick with whats working really well and resist the urge to experiment- but the desire to optimize is always burning in me.

Dave

I'm running a Hybrid Pump (www.hybridpumps.com) currently on my pool, pulling from my cleaner and drawing from the skimmer; returning through solar, my spa bypass, and to a large rock waterfall, all on 2.1 amps. I can spend lots of time over at the pump tweaking it to run slower, but that seems to be where it likes to run to do what I want it to do! I think my low speed option is 1,600 rpm and I'm running around 2,200 to make it all work.

It's cool that we can run these new pumps on a fraction of the power we once used! Darn things are just so fun to try and optimize that they are hard not to fool with!

Bruce

Sweet! nice setup- The frequency modulator they sell looks supremely cool.
The pumps look pretty trick too.

Yeah Ive spent waay too much time f-ing with this thing, but I have to admit it sure is fun.
More toys!

Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.