Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Someone send them a copy of the FC/CYA chart and the SLAM instruction page :mrgreen:

cubbybeave08

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
I saw the pool guy there. He was using test strips and declared the water to be safe. Just like a friend whose pool was green a few years back and kept telling me the chlorine is high...how can it be algae!

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The Olympics should have hired these two guys -

Even they know every good pool needs a good test kit...

AUSpool

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 23, 2015
Brisbane, Australia.
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I heard it was green and they still used it!!! Go the Aussies, but hey, the Americans have been and continue to be very impressive. :D

SandyO

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2015
Oxford, MI
The "reasons" I've been hearing about why it turned green have done a great job of proving to me that I know a whole lot more about my pool than I thought I did.

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
Was this likely a fast addition of copper algecide, followed by a shock treatment?

that or they filled that particular pool with well water with high copper?

drestes

Sep 19, 2013
Rome, GA
The mystery of the green Olympics diving pool has been solved.

FINA, the international governing body of swimming, diving, water polo, synchronized swimming and open water swimming, released the following statement:

FINA can confirm that the reason for the unusual water colour observed during the Rio 2016 diving competitions is that the water tanks ran out some of the chemicals used in the water treatment process. As a result the pH level of the water was outside the usual range, causing the discolouration. The FINA Sport Medicine Committee conducted tests on the water quality and concluded that there was no risk to the health and safety of the athletes, and no reason for the competition to be affected.

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
The mystery of the green Olympics diving pool has been solved.

FINA, the international governing body of swimming, diving, water polo, synchronized swimming and open water swimming, released the following statement:

FINA can confirm that the reason for the unusual water colour observed during the Rio 2016 diving competitions is that the water tanks ran out some of the chemicals used in the water treatment process. As a result the pH level of the water was outside the usual range, causing the discolouration. The FINA Sport Medicine Committee conducted tests on the water quality and concluded that there was no risk to the health and safety of the athletes, and no reason for the competition to be affected.
It scares me that an organization devoted entirely to sports conducted in swimming pools is so ignorant about basic water chemistry that they think the pH of the water can affect the color in any direct way. Other than some bizarre chemical reaction, there is only one thing that causes green pool - not enough chlorine. If the algae are blooming imagine what the bacteria and viruses are doing. I bet they just tested for chlorine and decided it was good if it was over 1 mg/L without any knowledge of the CYA levels.

richguy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2013
It scares me that an organization devoted entirely to sports conducted in swimming pools is so ignorant about basic water chemistry that they think the pH of the water can affect the color in any direct way. Other than some bizarre chemical reaction, there is only one thing that causes green pool - not enough chlorine. If the algae are blooming imagine what the bacteria and viruses are doing. I bet they just tested for chlorine and decided it was good if it was over 1 mg/L without any knowledge of the CYA levels.
Not entirely true. I can turn my pool green by letting the PH get too high because of iron in the water. It looks pretty close to the kind of green show in the photos.

ned8377

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
Wake Forest, NC
Some official said low or high PH could bring out metals coloring. What ever it is, how do you run out of chemicals for an Olympic pool? Looks like they ran out of chlorine because looks like algae to me.