The no flow light is rock solid, as well as the Inspect cell

Jul 15, 2010
New on board of TFP and I read all the threads above. It seems my cell starts with a 5, the no flow light is rock solid, as well as teh Inspect cell. Just returning from the Pool store. They cleaned it up (although had no dirt at all), they hooked it up to their own system and dipped it in a pool nearby, where it made no bubble. I am now being told the cell needs to be changed and is worth a wopping $500cdn (I'm in Quebec).

Any more inputs? I never heard of an end of life on such cell, let alone the price tag. The pool, rather small (13,000gal) runs at 50% about 4 months a year (startup temperature is about 65degF for 6 to 7 weeks, before it starts heating up to 80degF).

Is this it?, all I can do is buy another cell? Is there a better deal out there than $500?

Thanks in advance.
Francois.

Francois, welcome to TFP!
The cells do have a finite lifespan, just like a light bulb. Unfortunately, they are expensive to replace! You can probably get it for less than the pool store's price by looking around online for it. Hope that helps!

fdusablon said:
I am now being told the cell needs to be changed and is worth a wopping $500cdn (I'm in Quebec).

Any more inputs? I never heard of an end of life on such cell, let alone the price tag. The pool, rather small (13,000gal) runs at 50% about 4 months a year (startup temperature is about 65degF for 6 to 7 weeks, before it starts heating up to 80degF).

Is this it?, all I can do is buy another cell? Is there a better deal out there than $500?
Francois

My deepest condolences. I just went through this. Our salt cell died after 7 years. I hear normal life span is 5 yrs, so I got 2 more years than others do I guess.

If the PSS tested the cell correctly, then yes you do need a new cell. My PSS wanted $650US. I purchased mine online for about $350US at http://www.poolsupplyworld.com.

A few troubleshooting tips I was told by various sources, so I did them, but they did not help me in the end:
1) set the output to 100% (at the Aqua Link RS control panel located inside the house)
2) re-calibrate the SWG (outside, at the Aqua Rite control panel)
3) Is it possible you have too much salt in the pool, causing the generator to shut down? (as an FYI, I have read that too much salt can "kill" a salt cell) - in the event it is too much salt, just drain water & replace with fresh water
4) is it possible you have too little salt in the pool, causing the generator to not generate?

If your SWG is not properly diagnosing the salt level ppm, you will need an independent salt test. Strips (cheap, quick & easy) were better than nothing but I prefer the salt test kit from tftestkits.net.

Too much salt won't damage the cell, though it can cause most SWGs to shut down. There are a few older models where too much salt could cause the power supply to burn out, but newer models are protected against this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.