The light odor of chlorine surprised me

Aug 13, 2010
South Florida
- July 4 -
I chlorinated this morning, to FC of about 6.8. My CYA is in the 50-60 range. The pool is very clear.

Later, following use, vacuuming, and brushing (we do have a few rough patches that tend to acquire a little algae) and clouding up the pool with the deteriorating paint, I chlorinated again.

Brought the pool up to FC of 9 at 4:00pm. Don't know why. It just felt like the right thing to do.

The pump and filter have been running since 10:00am.

At midnight, the light odor of chlorine surprised me. It's been 8 hours since I added the extra chlorine.

My first thought was, "I hope I haven't got an algae bloom on the way."
The air outside is hardly moving, and the odor is not that sick-chlorine odor I remember from my youth. Just a light smell of bleach.

Then I thought, "If I had an algae battle going on, the chlorine odor would have dissipated more due to consumption in 8 hours, I think."

I haven't shocked the pool in years, and really don't remember the smell of even slightly elevated chlorine levels.

I'm sure I will find out when I test in the morning! Wish me luck!

Re: Slight Chlorine smell with 0 CC's , is it possible ?

Yeah, I think your situation is similar in that a somewhat higher FC/CYA level is having you smell a little more outgassing of chlorine. When the FC/CYA level drops closer to the minimum, you may notice the smell decreasing and be barely noticeable, if at all.

chem geek said:
Yeah, I think your situation is similar in that a somewhat higher FC/CYA level is having you smell a little more outgassing of chlorine. When the FC/CYA level drops closer to the minimum, you may notice the smell decreasing and be barely noticeable, if at all.

Thanks for your supportive words, ChemGeek. Yes, you surmised correctly.
I am pleased to not have an algae problem. Plus, I get to take a day off from adding chlorine, according to this morning's test. :party: Have a happy 5th of July, all.

She may simply have an extra sensitive sniffer, like my wife - she can detect a natural gas leak in an all-electric house. :wink: I'm sure your pool is fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.