The green monster

jamesky

Jun 3, 2019
Louisville, KY
So another pool store horror story.
opening the pool I had Leslie's pool test it at the end of April. They said I had high CYA and needed to drain the whole pool or buy a bottle of $60 stuff. I didn't buy it at that time due to wanting to research further.
15 days and a newborn baby later I attempt to tackle the green monster. I go back to Leslie's pool store with a water sample and tell them I have some algae issues. They test my water again and didn't mention anything about CYA this time. They sell me a kit for 80 bucks. It contains Shock, Green to Clean and a Clarifying solution.
It did its job and cleared the pool up for about a week. I used the 3 hockey pucks in the chlorinator like my landlord suggested and we went back to green. After about a week and a half it was back to where it was at before the $80 trip.
I spoke to the landlord and he suggested to go to a local shop, they test the water and inform I have no FC and give me 8 gallons of Chlorine and a bottle of Floc.
This did absolutely nothing to the algae........
So I took this into my own hands and found TFP!!!!!
Last night I found the printout Leslie's gave me and it stated I had a CYA of 100. I assumed that my FC was at 0. I brushed the pool from top to bottom. I used the pool calculator and added 7 bottles of Chlorine at 10% as suggested, I wanted to get a jump on the SLAM.
I don't trust the CYA reading of the pool shop. I have my K-2005 kit on its way and it will be here Friday. I was hoping it would be here today but it was 2 day shipping.

Should I continue to SLAM without knowing my levels? I have a way to test Chlorine presence but not FC. Or should I wait for the test kit before taking any more actions?

I will update my signature once I am at home and can add model numbers of the pool equipment. For now I know it uses sand filter, vinyl liner, rectangle shaped, approx 14,500 gallons.

Reactions: CeltiaK
First - if you can stop delivery on the K2005 that would be good. It is not the right kit. If you can't stop it, then you need a FAS-DPD test kit ordered. See FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test You will also need CYA refill fairly soon.

Add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine to the pool each evening with the pump running until you get your test kit.

Please fill out your signature. It really helps us help you.

Update- We are now blue but foggy. All of the green seems to be gone. Last night I brushed everything thoroughly before adding chlorine. This morning I backwashed the filter because the pressure went up.
Test kit should be here tomorrow and we can get down to the real work.

Update- We are now blue but foggy. All of the green seems to be gone. Last night I brushed everything thoroughly before adding chlorine. This morning I backwashed the filter because the pressure went up.
Test kit should be here tomorrow and we can get down to the real work.
Just thought of a question. If my CYA was really as high as the pool store said (above 100) would my pool clear up so fast?

It’s possible. You mentioned adding 7 gallons of 10% chlorine earlier. For your pool size it probably raised FC to 48
That might have killed algae and cause the pool to turn blue from green. Now it probably just needs to be filtered out to remove the cloudiness. This stage usually takes the longest. Once you get your kit run a full set of test and post your results.

It’s possible. You mentioned adding 7 gallons of 10% chlorine earlier. For your pool size it probably raised FC to 48
That might have killed algae and cause the pool to turn blue from green. Now it probably just needs to be filtered out to remove the cloudiness. This stage usually takes the longest. Once you get your kit run a full set of test and post your results.
Thanks for the reply Fast7. I need this kit to hurry so I know exactly what I am doing.
But I really like the color blue over green. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm pretty confident with all the tests besides Ch. The color never changed at all. I will follow pool calculator and start this SLAM.
Please do that test again. Follow the directions linked above. Be sure you use a 10 ml water sample.

Not really all that important right now because we know the pool was green and you need to SLAM, but don't forget about testing for combined chlorine. It can be valuable info on a routine basis to let you know things are going in the wrong direction before your pool turns green on you. Double check your testing procedures on the calcium hardness. Use the 10mL sample instead of the 25mL sample and that will require fewer drops and less swirling. Check the CYA/Chlorine chart... at CYA of 70 your SLAM target is 28ppm FC. Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool... Liquid chlorine only for now until we get your calcium hardness sorted out and we don't want any more CYA in there so remove all tablets!!! Liquid chlorine only for the SLAM.

Sorry for my lack of posting. Having and 1 month old and 6 other kids keeps a man busy. I continued the slam for the past couple of days. I can see the bottom of the deep end. No green stuff left in the pool. The cloudiness is almost gone. I am going to attempt to test all levels tonight or tomorrow and will repost. Everytime I get a pool sample and sit down I get interrupted.
Pool is looking amazing though. And all thanks to you guys and this site!!!!!

OH YEAH! Now that is what I am talking about!!! BLUE everywhere and see the bottom of the deep end??? :party:

Now comes the hard/long part.......the final clearing. This can take longer than you want to and is harder to see. If you take a pic a day looking down at the deep end with the brush in it you will be able to see the progress you are making.

7 kids??? and one is a baby??? Dude it is a wonder you even can sit down for a second! You are doing a great job! I can't wait to see the pic of the 6 older ones jumping into the pool all at one time!!!
Kim:kim:

OH YEAH! Now that is what I am talking about!!! BLUE everywhere and see the bottom of the deep end??? :party:

Now comes the hard/long part.......the final clearing. This can take longer than you want to and is harder to see. If you take a pic a day looking down at the deep end with the brush in it you will be able to see the progress you are making.

7 kids??? and one is a baby??? Dude it is a wonder you even can sit down for a second! You are doing a great job! I can't wait to see the pic of the 6 older ones jumping into the pool all at one time!!!
Kim:kim:
It's hard work but well worth it.

Finally got a chance to run full set of tests.
FC 16 I'll be bringing to SLAM level shortly
PH 7.0
TA 20
CH 225
CYA 50 we had alot of rain and I was at top of skimmer on last test due to prep to vacuum to waste.
Water is getting closer to crystal clear everyday. Gonna give it 2 more days and then do the overnight test. No sign of algae. I've been brushing thoroughly daily.
This was the before.

This is the after. This was Saturday. I will post a more recent pick tomorrow. As you can see the water level a bit high. This was before all the rain.

This weekend I will tackle adjusting all of my levels to match pool math or what everyone might suggest.
I did have a question. Where is the cheapest place to buy test liquids.
I can't say thanks enough to everyone and this website!!!!!!

Yup -- plain baking soda. In the future, get it at Walmart or big box stores for 1/4 the price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.