Brisbane, Australia.
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron V25
Tommorrow’s the big little dig day with an early start. We are building and digging to the boundary, or were, on two sides -50mm which has had its drama. Unfortunately we have a large sandstone block retaining wall on one of the boundaries which has caused issues. Safety for the crew in the hole being the foremost. At the day before, after two site visits we’ve had to move the pool forward and reverse the deep / shallow end.

Anyway, moving on we are still getting a pool. The deep end will be the shallow end and the steps go in the deep end and hopefully we don’t end up with a hole filled with sandstone blocks.

Last edited:
Ooh, it hurts, everything just hurts.

So to start hear is the oasis, formally known as the back yard. Boundary fence removed ready to dig. The old block wall to the rear is our problem, we’re worried about it collapsing and the safety of the crew in the hole. No rain on the horizon so the dig is on.

4436322B-9CEB-4895-8ED7-F1791E5C722B.jpeg

We have a hole. That was hard work with nothing but picks and shovels... Just kidding, we had a machine, just a little one but the operator knew what he was doing and sliced through the rock like a hot knife though butter.

8B19EDB5-CFDD-4037-BA8B-08C806EE5E6D.jpeg

You can see the scrape marks! No worries about the pool moving that is for sure!

That is a pretty wall. Is it a boundary wall between your property and the next door one? I can see how there might be a worry about it falling down as you dig/work on the pool. At least you can still have a pool!!

Kim:kim:

I am a little confused. You list pool specs in your sig as if you already had a pool??

Thanks Dave, good point.
Up till recently I’ve maintained two pools. We sold a house and then I was left with one, the one in the sig. We’ve now unfortunately moved and now have a new ‘building site’ which incorporates the new pool. When I can swim in the new pool I’ll update it to my sig but I’ll still maintain the other.

You can see the scrape marks! No worries about the pool moving that is for sure!

That is a pretty wall. Is it a boundary wall between your property and the next door one? I can see how there might be a worry about it falling down as you dig/work on the pool. At least you can still have a pool!!

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim,
I personally think that moving the pool forward improves the overall design. I hope. I was worried about the deep end to shallow end switch but it works. I thought the wall was going to be the rear pool fence but it is entirely on the neighbours side and due to regs we need to build a new block wall on our side. But we still have a pool.

Two days later, we have the forms and steel in. Just need the plumbing and we’re good to go ahead with the concrete. It’s a more out of ground then we thought which begs the question, will an out of ground pool be warmer or colder then if it was completely in ground?

24BAB8DD-EE0F-4E39-9F1E-13C2C63201AA.jpeg

OK, thanks, that makes sense. I’m guessing we may have a warm pool although we haven’t started on the rest of the house build yet which will provide shading to the pool. The crew in the hole where baking all day, its unseasonably warm, maybe in the 80’s and with no breeze. I felt bad for them and supplied some cold refreshments for when they finished. - they suggested they may need to extend the job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just for interest, that stone wall be as old as c1900 while the beast I’m wrangling in the front is also old. A Queenslander, quite unique, hand build from hardwood with weather boards, ship lap, varandah’s, exposed structural elements, no bottom plates, a hint of hamptons and set on piers.

D229D339-6FE8-4ABF-AD43-545A12DC417C.jpeg

5D354D2B-49B2-45C6-B248-652979251B5D.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Nikilyn
OK, thanks, that makes sense. I’m guessing we may have a warm pool although we haven’t started on the rest of the house build yet which will provide shading to the pool. The crew in the hole where baking all day, its unseasonably warm, maybe in the 80’s and with no breeze. I felt bad for them and supplied some cold refreshments for when they finished. - they suggested they may need to extend the job.

Generally your pool will be the same as the average ambient temperature at the pool site. Direct sun will add a few degrees and wind will tend to cool a few degrees. Being more in the ground will cause it to heat up and cool down a bit slower since the ground is a good insulator but overall there isn't much difference.

Excellent, thats a really good way to explain it.

The concrete was meant to be done tomorrow and everything was going so well until they plumbed it and sprayed the shell on Friday while I was at work. The return is not the best for an energy efficient pump, three 1.5” returns from a single 1.5” pipe to the pad. I would have done it with 2” pipe from the pad with 2”/1.5” tees for each return. But the biggest problem is that they haven’t provided the provision for heating, 2 deep suctions and one shallow return.

Does anyone know how successful core drilling a concrete shell would be for deep suctions and a shallow return?

949B483C-FF52-492A-A3BC-299F76BF5D83.jpeg

Thanks Kim and bdavis, I’ve notified the builder so hopfully we can get it sorted. I thought, or hoped, we could manage this but hearing it really does put ones mind at ease.

So, thank you, I really appreciate that, it means a lot.

Theres just so much going on, its really over whelming. I’m under the floor of this old house trying to slowly wrangle it level and think, “I guess I should double check the floor levels and provide a reference point for the pool shell height and finished height For the dig tomorrow”. So I grovel around the undercroft with my water level, reference the highest point, datum + height to under floor + floor + new flooring - pool tile - grout = pool shell level + a bunch of extra bits because my reference point is above any hard surface to mark on. Then, ding dong, can I come in and mark out for tomorrow’s dig?

What’s wrong with this picture? We have an architect, surveyor, engineer, and builder and I have to tell them from a water level what height to finish at... I need a cold beverage to think about this for a moment.

At least the retaining wall is now supported and everyone is safe.

Reactions: Pv2
I still don’t how long the forms need to stray for, hopefully they can come off tomorrow so I can back fill and give the neighbours land encroachment back.

We have an architect, surveyor, engineer, and builder and I have to tell them from a water level what height to finish at
You would think at least ONE of the would know how to or care enough to do it!!! GURRRRRRR you can bet if it were THEIR pool they would know!!

Is your neighbor pushing you or you just want it done? I don't know how long the forms need to stay. @bdavis466 should know.

Thanks Kim,
I’m getting ahead of myself a bit, I’ll find out tomorrow about the forms, or ask tomorrow if nothing happens.

Our neighbor has been really good about it. I asked if I could take up two feet of space but the pool builders never told me how much they needed and have taken up over 4 feet of space, including the clothes drying area which is on the boundary. Ive been on me hands and knees picking out concrete over spray and watering the lawn trying to keep it clean, tidy and alive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.