The big dig

AUSpool

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 23, 2015
Brisbane, Australia.
Many thanks again, I’ll have to a assume it’s tomorrow then and I can fence back to the boundary until the block work starts. I don’t think it is shotcrete though. Water is mixed with the dry mix at the nozzle for shotcrete I think where we use sprayed premixed concrete. I wish I was they to see it and to pick up on the plumbing.

bdavis466

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
Aug 4, 2014
San Clemente, CA
Many thanks again, I’ll have to a assume it’s tomorrow then and I can fence back to the boundary until the block work starts. I don’t think it is shotcrete though. Water is mixed with the dry mix at the nozzle for shotcrete I think where we use sprayed premixed concrete. I wish I was they to see it and to pick up on the plumbing.
Premixed is referred to as Shotcrete, Gunite is a dry mix with water added at the nozzle. Technically both are considered Shotcrete, just one is a dry mix and the other is a batched wet mix. Through the industry its easy enough to refer to wet at Shotcrete and dry as Gunite.

If my opinion actually mattered, shotcrete is a far superior product with a much smaller list of downsides

AUSpool

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 23, 2015
Brisbane, Australia.
Your opinion and expertise is invaluable, I am corrected. I had only recently read about the difference between Gunite and Shotcrete while researching the pebble colour and then got it mixed up. I knew I didn’t have gunite, I don’t think we do Gunite in Aussie.

The builders have been good about it, the provision for solar is in the quote and the contract so they said they will provide it. It just wasn’t transferred to the job sheet and that was something I did raise earlier. I’ve just noticed that they’ve forgotten the connection for the auto fill too. I guess we were to concerned with the retaining wall, moving the entire pool, swapping the deep and shallow ends, changing the orientation of the stairs and the colour of the skimmer that the solar and auto fill got over looked. I hope they’ve got a good core drill and demo saw.

AUSpool

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 23, 2015
Brisbane, Australia.
So we're still waiting for the forms to come off, apparently here in Aussie we leave the forms on for 7 - 10 days. Longer if it’s out of ground. I took the supports off on the neighbours side and moved the temporary fence in.

So anyway, while we wait, I have a concreting story. Many years ago we had a concreter, who spoke in a thick Italian accent, come around to advise. He looked at our back yard and said, “beautiful, you have the bambino’s, they wanna park their cars, you concrete him.” Well not all of it,” I said, “we want some grass and maybe even a pool.” “Na,” he said, “you concrete him, you want him grass, you paint him green, you want him pool, you paint him blue.”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kimkats