The algae is BACK

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
I cannot freakin believe it! The chlorine has not dropped - the lowest it has been was a 3 and that was for half a day! We have been keeping it at 5 or 6. I have a log where we have been testing this darn pool every day or every other day since the great algae incident of 2020. It’s all over the same light. I just don’t get it. We have Great circulation, new filters, new SWG. Someone PLEASE explain to me how I can have algae without the FC dropping. I can show you the logs. We have been trying to get our SWG right so we have been testing once, sometimes twice a day!!!!!!!! <insert disgusted emoji here>

Someone PLEASE explain to me how I can have algae without the FC dropping.
Many times it’s because it is hiding somewhere. Water features such as fountains/bubblers, tubular ladders or light niches. Every inch is suspect until you find the source. Most likely you have old water trapped somewhere or spots that needed cleaning and were overlooked.

Need some history here. Did you SLAM? What are you using to test your water (Never mind, I see you have TF100). Can you list your numbers?

FC
CC
PH
TA
CYA

What is your CYA? The FC numbers are not very useful without knowing that.

Since you have a SWG I would suspect between 70-80 in which dropping to 3 is not good. After my algae debacle I now keep my FC at a minimum of 10% of my CYA. Do your SLAM and run FC a little hot from now on and it gives you room to make a mistake.

Reactions: bmoreswim
D,

I know this must be frustrating and I'm sure there's an explanation along with a cure. But we need a little more than "I've got black algae" to go on. What does it look like and where is it? Usually it's pretty easy to get rid of if you address it quickly. Your FC with no CYA test result is kind of meaningless. Please provide a full set of analysis.

We have a lot of experts here that can help you solve this and hopefully end the frustration - just need a little more to go on.

Chris

where you are at I would recommend CYA of 80 and FC level at 7 to 8.. This will keep you safely above 4 to 5 FC during the day... 3 FC is at the very lowest level and algae gets a foothold (usually in a part of the pool with low circulation) and the SWG can not keep up and it starts getting worse and worse...

It should not be that bad now and only require 2 to 3 days of SLAM...

Did you follow procedures for mustard algae?

mustard algae? we slammed back in June and we took out our lights and ran our wall until our numbers came back out. I have never looked at mustard. The algae is back on the outside of our lights. it's alwasy there when it shows up. we literally soaked the lights in beach for a very long time.

where you are at I would recommend CYA of 80 and FC level at 7 to 8.. This will keep you safely above 4 to 5 FC during the day... 3 FC is at the very lowest level and algae gets a foothold (usually in a part of the pool with low circulation) and the SWG can not keep up and it starts getting worse and worse...

It should not be that bad now and only require 2 to 3 days of SLAM...
yes, sir. I know this (about the 3 - never want it there ever BUT we have a new salt cell and it has been heck getting it right) I have been maintaining 5 to 6. 3 was only once. our CYA is 70 right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cowboycasey
yes, sir. I know this (about the 3 - never want it there ever BUT we have a new salt cell and it has been h-e-l-l getting it right) I have been maintaining 5 to 6. 3 was only once. our CYA is 70 right now.
You can use Pool Math to estimate swg settings. Just click on "effects of adding" on the menu and select swg. Add your swg brand and model. Just set it to produce about 3-4 ppm to start with. It helps if you don't over-adjust. Running a little on the high end won't hurt anything.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DMS,

Is this the kind of light where the fixture can be taken out? If so, you should take the light out and set it on the deck and then clean the light niche.. .. I doubt the algae came back, it just never fully went away..

I have a saltwater pool and try to keep my FC at my target of 5, or above.. I do not try to keep my FC between my minimum of 3 and my target of 5... I see the minimum as a cliff I never want to fall off.. Running a little high is never an issue, while running a little below the minimum can lead to problems.

From the SWCG point of view it is much easier to set up if you forget about going a little high and just worry about staying at your target or above... So, I never adjust the SWCG, just because we had a cloudy day or no one went swimming for a day or so... If the FC goes a little high, I just don't care... I only adjust if my FC goes below my target. Doing this means I only have to adjust my SWCG once a month or less.. If you are having "heck" adjusting the SWCG then, in my mind, you are trying to micromanaging it rather than looking at the long term and letting the SWCG do its thing..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.