Thanks TFTestKits, just got my stuff

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
So here's my results, my pool was mostly green last week as I was fighting with high PH. I think I have it under control. It's grey and cloudy, I can see the last remnants of an algae center to vacuum out to waste. FC is high because I've added a gallon of chlorine each day while I waited on the test kit. Also have my SWG running 24 hrs. So next is to SLAM, raise the stabilizer. What about those Borates? I've never looked at that before, but I bought some test strips.
Thanks All!
------------------------------------------
Test Results 09-09-2020 @ 12:22 PM
------------------------------------------
Free Chlorine: 8.0
pH: 7.5
Total Alkalinity: 70
CYA: 30
Borates: 0

Reactions: Mdragger88
Keep cya @ 30 for slam
Lower ph to 7.2 & SLAM Process
with liquid chlorine
Until you pass 3 end of slam criteria 😊
You won’t have any borates unless you’ve added some via boric acid, borax, or proteam supreme type products
Borates are only added well after everything else is in line.
Here’s the info on that for later👇
Borates in pool - Further Reading

Don’t forget to take pics of your progress 📸

Reactions: cfclay
Raising CYA now will only make your SLAM more expensive, as you'll need to use a higher FC level.

You lower pH because it helps the process, and you can't test it during a SLAM because the pH test doesn't work when FC is above 10.

Keep the FC at the SLAM target as much as possible. The more it dips below, the longer the SLAM will take. Raising FC above the SLAM level will only waste chlorine, so don't be tempted.

Don't give up! You can't speed or cheat the SLAM process. Follow the instructions to the letter, especially the criteria for when it's over. If you don't, you'll only have to start it all over.

SLAM on!

Oh, if you find you're burning through the FC reagents, you can use a 5ml sample and double the result to save some. You need to be a little more meticulous with the testing at 5ml, because the test will be less accurate.

It's still better to use the 10ml sample, for accuracy during the SLAM, but if you're running out and have to stretch it, it's a temporary solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: cfclay
Your signature doesn’t list what filter u have
But clean/ backwash it when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure & don’t forget your P.O.P. (Pool Owner Patience) while it’s clearing.

Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.