Thanks and calcium ?

Kgm

Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2017
Chapin, SC
Thanks for all the info on this site. I have taken care of my pool on my own for a few years with only some issues. The more I read here the better my pool looks. I have a plaster pool, SWG, cartridge filter, 22,000 gallons.

My question to start is, I don't see on any other site about keeping calcium levels between 350 and 450 for a SWG pool. I have a few, white, very hard protruding deposits on the side of my pool. I am guessing the calcium levels of 250 my be causing this so I am raising it to 350 now. Hope I am doing the right thing!

Oops, already messed with it due the levels recommended in the ABC's of pool chemistry where it list calcium levels for a SWG pool as 350 - 450. So I am a little confused. I am up to 350 this am. Soooooo, do I leave it alone at 350 or go to the trouble of trying to lower it back down.

The second picture is exactly what mine looks like, thanks for that.

The reason folks are hesitant to recommend increasing CH in a pool is because some areas, especially the southwest, have high CH in their tap water. And since calcium stays in the pool while the water evaporates the CH is constantly increasing over time.

So, for your pool the question would be what is the CH of your fill water? If you have soft water you will want to increase CH and if you have hard water you might not want to. It isn't a huge deal either way really. It is fairly easy to manage a pool with a very wide range of CH. We have folks who manage pools with CH above 1000.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support