TFP, not working anymore on iOS Tapatalk App

You’ll have to cook @Leebo free breakfasts for life on your CampChef griddle....this post will ring up Lee, he can answer your question.

I was talking with Lee earlier, and he said the moving truck carrying the images from the old site, broke down on the side of the road. The images from the old site should be here in a few days.
(I don’t have any of mine from the old site either)

So full disclosure, Tapatalk can work on TFP, but only if I install the plugin. They do offer a setup that could tie in however we’ve opted not to at this time. Before I go into why I will say we’re looking into options to make our own forum App however at this time there’s no other options really out there besides Tapatalk. There is some new features coming out soon that will in theory make a forum App easier to create but at this time but for now there’s nothing.

So why has TFP decided to uninstall the plugin? The main reason is control, Tapatalk offers forums nothing while they require full control over what they show. Additionally Tapatalk requires full access to every part of the server behind the scenes. They get full access to emails, passwords, photos, and everything else. I’ve always been taught when dealing with third party companies to ONLY give them access to permissions/areas that they MUST have. Personally with the new UI I feel Tapatalk isn’t a MUST have and handing unlimited access is a liability.

So, could I be stressing about nothing? Oh heck ya!! I won’t deny that. So let’s look at more practical reasons. TFP’s mission is to assist and teach pool owners. Two of the main tools we use are PoolMath and Pool School. Guess what, with Tapatalk those aren’t displayed to users UNLESS somebody gives them a link. While the forum does see it’s fair share of activity it pails to comparison to the amount of users we see who never speak but surf TFP and read. I want to make sure I give them every bit of information too, and Tapatalk simply makes all our information hidden. Additionally in the future I do plan on creating some new features that maybe outside of the softwares code. Features like sharing data between PoolMath and the forum. If Tapatalk is in the picture users on Tapatalk will never see these features.

I fully understand ditching Tapatalk is a change to its users. I get it. My request is to give the new a try. It’s something for all of us. It’s not my goal to make everybody’s life a pain, I just want to make the best TFP we can.

Reactions: tcat
No problem. I just added browser bookmarks and added a couple of forum apps. A TFP forum app would be great! (With a "night mode")

A dark mode wouldn’t be very hard to do, we’ve just got about 5,000 other things in front of it. All that’s needed would be to duplicate this theme and alter the colors. It wouldn’t look as good (dark never does) but it’s doable.

In time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.