TF100 - Which Refills to Order?

gmason86

Bronze Supporter
May 13, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I didn't want to send Rebecca at TFTestKits yet another email (she's been wonderful in answering my questions directly!!!), so thought I'd try here.

As per my other thread (Transporting Test Kit via Plane), I'm going to be buying some refills when I'm down in New Orelans and taking them back to Canada. I'm 100% buying the full refill set to get fresh ones while they're on such a good sale, but I'm just trying to decide which extras to buy...

I was just doing a quick inventory and what reagents I used most last year:
  • With most of the less frequent ones (for TA, Calcium, etc.), I hardly used any.
  • For the PH testing, I used a reasonable amount but certainly wasn't close to finishing it
  • With the CYA testing, I used approx 2.3 - 3/4 of the bottle, so still an ok amount left
  • With the DPD powder, I used approx 1.5 tubs (I did use too much originally!)
  • With the R0871 reagent, I used very close to the full 2oz bottle (I had 1 SLAM to do), but didn't touch the second bottle

Given I live in Canada and can't easily or cheaply order reagents if I run out during the pool season, I was thinking about these extras:
1. XL option (XL Option)
I'm planning to get this because I did end up needing extra powder last year. I think the extra R0871 would also be useful in case I end up having to SLAM more than once.

Any thoughts on this? I think it makes sense, but if anyone disagrees, please let me know!

2. CYA refill (R-0013 CYA Refill - 8 0z.)
I'm unsure if this is worth getting, given I didn't use the full bottle. But perhaps I should be testing this one more often and therefore get the refill. I was thinking worst case, if I ran out of CYA reagent near the end of the season, I could occasionally pop to the local pool store for a reading on that, given they do test it. They put their samples in some kind of automatic reader that figures out the readings, rather than the manual methods we use for the TF100. Not sure how accurate their CYA reading is.

What does anyone think? I don't want to waste money for the sake of it, but will purchase if you think it's worth it.

Anything else anyone thinks I should order while I'll be in the US, given this is my only opportunity for the season :)

Thanks!

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Given your situation up north, I think an XL Option is a good idea. Keep it in a cool, dry place and it will last a good long time. The R-0013 is basically an inert fluid and with a long shelf life, but if you wanted to get an extra bottle "just in case", you'll have it. Other than the FAS-DPD stuff, I personally use pH faster than the others.

OP
OP
G

gmason86

Bronze Supporter
May 13, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the reply!

With regards the XL option, if I keep it in a cool, dry place, how long is 'a good long time' realistically?

For R0013, how long are you talking for a long shelf life? I'd rather not spend the extra money just for the sake of it. But if it would genuinely last a long time, I suppose I could order it and keep the spare on rotation. i.e. if I don't use the spare this year, use it next year and then put the additional one that I get with a new refill set next year away until I need it. Repeat...

For the PH, I did test it reasonably often but I probably still had 1/3 of the bottle left at least. I guess my pool season is a lot shorter than yours! I think it'd be overkill, unless I went crazy and tested a lot more often this year...

For all the others that I have plenty of left (PH, TA, Calcium) and even those where I have a small amount left (FAS-DPD, CYA), should I use the leftovers from last year first? Or will they not be effective 1 year on? If they're still good, it'd be nice to use them up first and keep my new refill set ready for when they run out.

Thanks!

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
if I keep it in a cool, dry place, how long is 'a good long time' realistically?
Easily all season, probably into next. For the R-0013, it can last 2-3 years minimum since it's so stable, perhaps longer. Some of our science buffs know more about that. But if you don't use alot of it, you should be in good shape with the XL Option.

OP
OP
G

gmason86

Bronze Supporter
May 13, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Thanks!

I'd like to go with the option of not buying the extra CYA, since I only used 2/3 - 3/4 of the bottle last season. That means I'd actually have approx 1.25-1.33 bottles since I still have the leftover from last year and you're saying it'd last a while.

Worst case, if I somehow shot through it all, I guess I could test the CYA specifically at the pool company, if I can trust their CYA results...