Tf100 test results?

I found the test kit to be a little difficult. I'm sure it's because it's my first time. My test results are as follows fc=5 tc=5.5 ch=225. Ta=90 ph=7.2 and cya the black dot never disappeared but when I had Leslie's test this morning they said the cya was 30 fc was 4 ta was 0.2 difference ch was 120 Ta was 90 ph was 7.6. They said I needed to bring the phosphates way down and the ch up. But as I read on here phosphates don't matter and for vinyl line ch doesn't matter. I'm sure Leslie's test were more accurate than mine. I'm now worried weather or not I'm gonna mess up the chemistry due to my readings being way off. Also can I pour the test water down the drain?

Hello,

Testing will get easier the more you practice. I just started 5 weeks ago and I was a complete basket case the first time. Now I'm so pro! I do pour my tests down the drain. As far as I know that's ok. Stay here and stay with it. Keep reading! If you really want to manage the water you can. I'm doing it and I've never had a pool before. My water is crystal clear with no off putting smell and I know exactly what's in it.

Crystal

I'm sure Leslie's test were more accurate than mine. I'm now worried weather or not I'm gonna mess up the chemistry due to my readings being way off.

i wouldn't hold my breath. CYA is the hardest test for sure. Make sure you allow your pool water to come to room temperature before you start the test. Then make sure you do the test outdoors in full sunlight with your back to the sun(tube should be in your shadow). Have the tube at your waist level and fill from line to line. Then glance, don't stare, to see if the dot is visible. Take your time. You can pour the sample back and forth a few times to double a check your number.

Test water down the drain is perfectly ok. Mine goes in the grass as I test outside. All your other numbers look fine. How does your water look?

dont worry about phosphates, just a magic potion that takes money out of your pocket. Maintain a proper FC and you will have no worries.

If your CYA is truly 30, then according to the FC/CYA chart your FC should be between 4-6. So 5 is great. But you do need to do your FC test EVERY Day. Then use the pool math calculator. Say your FC is down to 3 tomorrow. In pool math calculator input 19000 gallons. FC 3 for what it is now and then put 5 for what you want it to be. Then over on the right, it will tell you how many oz of bleach to add. Be sure to input your other numbers all down the left side. Especially your CYA of 30. Just input 30 and 30 in the CYA spaces for now. You may need to bring that up later. But first and most important is to keep your FC at 5. Keep coming back to this thread and post your own test results every day.

If your pH is 7.2 you will want to raise it just a bit. But if it's 7.6 you can let that be for now.

Keep testing! Get your practice and you will get better. Test your CYA again in a day or so when you have sun and do it outside. Let the pool water get to room temp before you test it. You can pour the test water back into the cya test bottle and redo it over and over until you get a good feel for what you are looking for. Practice.

I test my FC every night around 7 pm. I run my pump starting at 5 pm so that the water is well mixed. Then I use pool math to tell me how much bleach I need. It's so easy once you get the hang of it.

Don't test for CH for now. You don't have to worry about it anyway.

Your TA is good for now.

Just test FC every day and add bleach every day. Get used to the pool math calculator.

I'll be here to help!

Crystal.

Just in case you don't know this...you need to know what strength of bleach you have and then choose that strength level on pool math. Some bleach is 6%. Most is 8.25%. Most of the made for pools type is 10%. Just be sure you input your strength in pool math.

C

FYI- Leslie's is almost a script sales store. They tell *everyone* that they need to lower their phosphates. BUT as long as you don't have algae you don't need to worry about it eating and growing on phosphates (algae food).

Also- vinyl lined pools don't need calcium. But that too seems to be in their script to sell....

Don't trust their test results against your TF-100. They can't match the accuracy. Just go step by step reading the directions as you go. Write your results down as such:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

That makes it easier for us to read it quickly and respond. When you write them in paragraph it gets all confusing...thanks. :)

Yippee :flower:

Hello,

Testing will get easier the more you practice. I just started 5 weeks ago and I was a complete basket case the first time. Now I'm so pro! I do pour my tests down the drain. As far as I know that's ok. Stay here and stay with it. Keep reading! If you really want to manage the water you can. I'm doing it and I've never had a pool before. My water is crystal clear with no off putting smell and I know exactly what's in it.

Crystal

:goodpost:

Thanks for encouraging and helping our new friends! Advice and encouragement from a new a TFPer goes a long way...much more so than veterans like me extolling the virtues sometimes.

I'm sure Leslie's test were more accurate than mine.

I had the same sentiment when I started. I had my pool re-plastered last fall. I took samples to LPS so I could document my chemical balance for warranty purposes. I was already fully-onboard with the TFP method, yet I struggled to discount results from "experts" - until my 3rd or 4th test from them. Unlike your pool, mine requires CH. CH doesn't evaporate or get consumed, yet my results from LPS show a wild trend of CH swing! I could never use their data to support a warranty claim. The mfr / pool builder would certainly point out that my CH numbers suggest over-dosing of CH and frequent draining of the pool! (never of which happened of course)

I went about a week with my TF-100 without my Speed-Stir. It actually makes testing fun. I mention this because I believe it can improve accuracy as well, but I also dropped the magnet capsule into the garbage disposal. That wasn't a fun retrieval, but I still pour the test water down the drain. (albeit MUCH more carefully!)

apropos of nothing, a sock placed over the end of your vacuum WILL successfully pick up a magnet stirrer from a disposal (and about a quart of drain water). ahem.

I'm not sure how the water looks as I have a solar cover on it. It was cloudy a week ago because being a newbie I didn't rinse the new sand upon start up. I've since bought a solar cover to use on it!so I'm not sure how it looks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much for the great advise. I will do as you say.

- - - Updated - - -

Will do thank you for your help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.