TF100 results and a plan of attack?

txgal

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2008
Dallas, TX
So, now that I am on board with BBB here is the data...

We aquired this pool when we bought our house in December. The pool is 11 years old. Here is some information that you all may find useful...

15,000 gallon pool
Sta Rite System 3 DE filter
Previously used inline trichlor puck feeder (now turned off) & dichlor to shock

1st results with the TF100 kit on Monday
FC 3.5
CC 0
TC 3.5
pH 7.5
TA 190
CYA over 100
CH 270

Thursday
FC 6.5
CC 0
TC 6.5
pH 7.5
TA 160
CYA over 100

I have been testing the FC and pH daily and everything else every 2 days. I have been adding bleach nightly to raise our FC to 7 or 8 and adding muratic acid (2x) to lower our pH to 7.2 to lower the TA. I have been running fountains and trying to create bubbles to raise my pH while trying to lower my TA. We also drained about 1/3 of the pool this weekend when we cleaned the filter so I am hopeful that with another large drain we will be able to get our CYA to a better level.

When we were cleaning the filter we noticed tears on the grids. Thankfully we have a home warranty that will cover the replacement of the grids. The bad news is that they came out today to look at the grids and took them with them! The pool repairman claimed that they couldn't get an exact match on the size of the grids without having them. So we are without a filter for about a week. Is this really bad? He moved the multiport valve to recirculate so we are moving water, but not through a filter. I am scared of what this will lead to. He claimed that if we maintain our chlorine levels and pH levels that we will be fine. He also told me that I need to completely drain and refill the pool every 3 years, so I'm not confident in his advice. I tried to not let them take the grid and just order the part based on the model/serial number, but they wouldn't budge. I even called the home warranty company and they were no help. I felt like I was stuck.

My goal is to lower my CYA to around 70, and I know that I need to lower my TA but what would be ideal?

So what do you think?? Many thanks to all of you for your help and advice!

txgal said:
So, now that I am on board with BBB here is the data...

We aquired this pool when we bought our house in December. The pool is 11 years old. Here is some information that you all may find useful...

15,000 gallon pool
Sta Rite System 3 DE filter
Previously used inline trichlor puck feeder (now turned off) & dichlor to shock

1st results with the TF100 kit on Monday
FC 3.5
CC 0
TC 3.5
pH 7.5
TA 190
CYA over 100
CH 270

Thursday
FC 6.5
CC 0
TC 6.5
pH 7.5
TA 160
CYA over 100

I have been testing the FC and pH daily and everything else every 2 days. I have been adding bleach nightly to raise our FC to 7 or 8 and adding muratic acid (2x) to lower our pH to 7.2 to lower the TA. I have been running fountains and trying to create bubbles to raise my pH while trying to lower my TA. We also drained about 1/3 of the pool this weekend when we cleaned the filter so I am hopeful that with another large drain we will be able to get our CYA to a better level.

When we were cleaning the filter we noticed tears on the grids. Thankfully we have a home warranty that will cover the replacement of the grids. The bad news is that they came out today to look at the grids and took them with them! The pool repairman claimed that they couldn't get an exact match on the size of the grids without having them. So we are without a filter for about a week. Is this really bad? He moved the multiport valve to recirculate so we are moving water, but not through a filter. I am scared of what this will lead to. He claimed that if we maintain our chlorine levels and pH levels that we will be fine. He also told me that I need to completely drain and refill the pool every 3 years, so I'm not confident in his advice. I tried to not let them take the grid and just order the part based on the model/serial number, but they wouldn't budge. I even called the home warranty company and they were no help. I felt like I was stuck.

My goal is to lower my CYA to around 70, and I know that I need to lower my TA but what would be ideal?

So what do you think?? Many thanks to all of you for your help and advice!

Your numbers look good, but make sure to keep up the FC to 8. The pH will rise when you use bleach, or some pools do...mine doesn't. I don't know what to say about being without a filter, I'll let the guys handle that one.

You will not have to drain and refill the pool every 3 years.....he's an idiot. He'd also probably say, if you had a sand filter, that you'd need to change the sand every 3 years, too. Which you don't. He probably recommends changing the water every 3 years because he only uses tri-chlor pucks, which of course, wreck havoc on a pool.

You are doing great!

CaryB

A couple of suggestions:

1. Add all your pool and equipment info in your signature (also include what type pool, fiberglass, gunite, etc)

2. Make good use of Jason's pool calculator (link in my sig) to determine the correct amount of bleach to add to maintain proper level.

3. Take some pix for us when you have time!

More help is on the way!

You are doing a great job :wink:

The first 2 days I raised the FC to 7 and then the last couple of days I raised it to 8. Thanks for the advice, and I'll continue to shoot for at least 8.

The pool is gunite and I'll add the info to my signature. I'll try to post some pictures but I'm a bit challenged in that area :-D . I've been using Jason's Pool Calculator for the addition of chemicals. It is so handy!!

Keep the info coming. I'm a sponge right now, and hopefully I'll be soaking up my pool water very soon thanks to you!

The water is clear and looks great. We had some algae growing in the hot tub and a few small spots in the pool. I shocked it with dichlor not knowing better at the time. It seems to be better, but I've been brushing the pool frequently.

Cool.

Your plan to lower CYA and then Alk is rock-solid.

As Cary and Joyce suggested, be sure to keep the FC up at least 8...... and 10ppm won't hurt.

Since you're going to drain once more, If you can remove 1/3 of your water, that'll put your CYA at 60 wihich is even better than the 70 you were thinking.

Alk would be great down around 80-100. That'll need to be lowered with muriatic and a vigorous aeration program. It sounds like you might be already on that path and simply need to get your aertion up to start that process. Remember to lower your pH with the muriatic to 7.0-7.2 before4 you start the4 aeration.....and make sure it's vigorous. My favorite was one guy who stuck his shop air compressor underwater!!

Keep us posted on the aeration progress and post up your new CYA number when you drain and refill. Your on your way to a really sparkling pool water summer!!

Thanks Dave! I also really like the kit and feel like I have control over my pool now. You got it in the mail lightning fast!

Do you think I'll have problems without a filter for a week? I have no clue, so can I continue to add muratic acid to lower my pH and thus my TA without a filter or should I wait until everything is working again?

The main point of that last post was to answer that question and I forgot!!. Sorry.

It will cause you little problem. You absolutely don't want the water stagnant 'til the filter comes back so just keep it on recirculate and treat everything just like the filter was working. Certainly go ahead with your Alk process...it'll make no difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool has looked great since I started BBB! I feel like I have control and knowledge over what is happening with our water. We were without a filter for a week and towards the end of the week the water was very cloudy but otherwise fine. I maintained my testing/treating routine throughout the week. The water was crystal clear and better than ever within 12 hours of the filter running.

Now I'm trying to decide if we should invest in a SWG or the Liquidator because it would be nice to not have to add bleach/chemicals nearly every night. I can't imagine going back to the pucks and clueless state that I was in before I found this site!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.