TF test kit outside North America

Ian196499

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
England
Hi

is there any way for TFP to look again at distribution outside of North America for the TFtestkit.net supplies?

Taylor have a “European” distributor (BEHQ) but they state that they are only wholesalers and cannot supply individuals.

I’d be happy to pay any international shipping / duties.
Cheers
Ian

It certainly is OTpirate's call but I can tell you the obstacles for doing that are huge. Each country has it's own set of Regulations.....impossible to learn and easy to violate. A small company like TFTestkits would have a very difficult time doing all that.

In fact, I am pretty sure Taylor uses a special company for all it's international shipping and they are not inexpensive

It certainly is OTpirate's call but I can tell you the obstacles for doing that are huge. Each country has it's own set of Regulations.....impossible to learn and easy to violate. A small company like TFTestkits would have a very difficult time doing all that.

In fact, I am pretty sure Taylor uses a special company for all it's international shipping and they are not inexpensive
In terms of Taylor using “an international company” I’ve been down that road pretty much.
Taylor referred me to a company called Horner Express in Florida, who do not ship direct unless I want to buy a container load of test kits. They in turn referred me to the distributor in Spain (who aren’t interested unless I buy at least a few pallets of test kits ) and another distributor in Hungary who I’m yet to hear from but who’s website states that their main activity is making their own water treatment products and test kits for sale in Hungary.
As far as I can ascertain there is no official way to buy Taylor products in Europe. Hence this request.

One would think if Taylor testkits are being imported to a distributor, that distributor is selling them to a retailer somewhere. Have you asked the distributor for a list of local retailers that they sell their testkits to?

One would think if Taylor testkits are being imported to a distributor, that distributor is selling them to a retailer somewhere. Have you asked the distributor for a list of local retailers that they sell their testkits to?
I did ask and the answer was “no have no distributors or retails in the UK”.

I get my kits and refills in Canada through Amazon.
Amazon is what I’ve used so far. However...
- The prices are about treble what is quoted on TFtestkits ( and the difference isn’t just the shipping / duty). To be honest if it was just the price I would be fine, but..
- one box I received had reagents where the expiry date had already passed
- one box was shipped “overland” and went via Chicago to Europe then to Brazil (?!?) then disappeared for 3 months when it arrived back to Europe where it got stuck in customs at Heathrow airport unless I paid a ransom fee which I refused to do.
- one box did arrive OK and this is the only one I’ve used so far but I’m running out of reagents hence this attempt to ascertain an official supply!

Hello, I've thought about international shipping, but it honestly is not worth it to me. Each country has different shipping regulations regarding chemistry. What happens when something is damaged? It's one thing for me to eat shipping costs of accidentally damaged items within the US-we are talking a lot of money to replace something shipped overseas. I've had issues in which people use a forwarding company (unbeknownst to me) and items get tied up in customs. I really like tight quality control on what I sell. Currently, I don't use a distributor or Amazon. I may in the future, but right now I'm content on being small potatoes.

Thanks for being clear about it and I fully understand your approach and reasoning and in your position I would do exactly the same.
It does raise a broader TFP question which is that TFP are very clear that Taylor is the only approved test kit.
As you can see reading this thread, I’ve REALLY tried to get a decent source of the Taylor test kit but I’ve failed.
Therefore I would really appreciate it some other test kits could be considered by knowledgeable people ( ie not me) to help those who literally can’t access the Taylor kit.
thanks
Ian

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test Kits Compared

There is a Lamotte kit that carries all the tests.

Realize you can survive with just a DPD FC test (tests to 10 ppm) as long as you do not have to SLAM. And if it comes down to it, with distilled water, you can run a SLAM, albeit less efficiently.

Marty

thanks for that. Can you advise which La Motte test kit would be good. I saw they do a liquid reagent type kit ( similar looking to Taylor’s) and La Motte do have a European sales team. However, the liquid reagent kit is NOT available for sale in Europe.
Instead they seem to promote the kits which have a digital analyser ( like a little computer). I was told not to get one of those as the read out is only as good as the last calibration and it’s very hard to get the domestic units calibrated so the results can become wrong over time?
Thanks
Ian

Can you advise which La Motte test kit would be good.
Just to close this up - the Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 is used by some here as a daily check kit. It does not test FC above 10 ppm nor is the CH test very accurate. But as long as you know that, it is an acceptable kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.