TF-PRO test kit (i have no idea what i'm doing)

jesse-99

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2021
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello.
I bought this: TF-Pro *Salt with Smart Stir-for pools with SWG

I'm really trying to understand how to use it but I'm feeling pretty stupid here reading all this stuff. Ugh. I was hoping someone could answer my specific questions below.

The extra smart stir thing is supposed to come with:
1. Stirrer
2. Stir Bar
3. 40ml Samples Tube

Q1. I think the Stirrer is the thing that takes the 4 AA batteries. But I don't know if it's working? If I hit either the Right or Left button, the unit lights up, but it doesn't "do" anything... what is it supposed to do, vibrate or something?
Q2. What is the Stir Bar, I'm assuming its the tiny blue shovel-like thing, correct? (it reads "0.05g #2235 Hold Above Line")
Q3. What is the 40ml samples tube? I'm assuming it's the other tube that *ISN'T* labeled as "Chlorine Only", correct?
Q4. For the Chlorine Drop Test , step 2 says to "Add one scoop of the R-0870 powder". Okay, but scoop using what? I assume using that tiny blue shovel-like thing (which might also be the Stir Bar?), correct?
Q5. There's a small white plastic piece (shaped like a "+" sign) in an electrostatic bag. What is this for?
Q6. Am I supposed to rinse/wash off the tubes and stir things after each use?
Q7. If I do a chlorine test, do I -have- to do another/different test before acting on the results of that test? (for example, if I don't know my pH, TA, CH, or CYA, should I do -NOTHING- regardless of my chlorine test until I also test the others?) I know they all sort of work together and one might affect the other, I'm just learning slowly here and nervous about screwing up these tests and it's taking me a long time to grasp this stuff.

Sorry for the ignorance, try not to laugh too hard. I'm going to have a lot more questions, but I just need those answered for now.

I'm mainly just trying to get familiar with running a Chlorine drop test for FC and CC, and TC.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210525_180315.jpg
    20210525_180315.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: SupplyChiefSM
The SpeedStir won't look like it's doing anything, until you add the stir bar. It is creating magnetic fields. The stir bar looks like a pill, bean, or +. Drop it in the 40 mL tube and turn on the SpeedStir, and the bean will spin.

The little blue shovel is the scoop for the FC test.

Rinse out your equipment after testing. Especially the powder from the FC test, will stain. I just toss the test sample on the lawn, then dunk and rinse in the pool.

You can test one, some, or all of the parameters at a time. Some (like pH) do require you to do others (TA) before you can adjust the first one.

For your first time, run through the entire set of tests, and post your results here for guidance. Once you get things adjusted properly, you can settle into testing FC daily, pH two or three times a week, and the others monthly.

Jess,

The "magnetic" stirrer moves an X shaped stir pellet that you put inside the sample tube.. You fill the sample tube with the correct amount of pool water and then add the X shaped pellet. The Stirrer will then move the pellet to mix the test sample. Your "pellet" is still in the plastic bag.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jesse-99
Hello.
I bought this: TF-Pro *Salt with Smart Stir-for pools with SWG

I'm really trying to understand how to use it but I'm feeling pretty stupid here reading all this stuff. Ugh. I was hoping someone could answer my specific questions below.

The extra smart stir thing is supposed to come with:
1. Stirrer
2. Stir Bar
3. 40ml Samples Tube

Q1. I think the Stirrer is the thing that takes the 4 AA batteries. But I don't know if it's working? If I hit either the Right or Left button, the unit lights up, but it doesn't "do" anything... what is it supposed to do, vibrate or something? When you put the vial of liquid on and drop the stir bar in, the magnets make the liquid spin and mix.
Q2. What is the Stir Bar, I'm assuming its the tiny blue shovel-like thing, correct? (it reads "0.05g #2235 Hold Above Line") The white X bar or old white bean
Q3. What is the 40ml samples tube? I'm assuming it's the other tube that *ISN'T* labeled as "Chlorine Only", correct? Yup
Q4. For the Chlorine Drop Test , step 2 says to "Add one scoop of the R-0870 powder". Do you see the little bitty blue "coke spoon" looking thing? Okay, but scoop using what? I assume using that tiny blue shovel-like thing (which might also be the Stir Bar?), correct? Not the same ;)
Q5. There's a small white plastic piece (shaped like a "+" sign) in an electrostatic bag. What is this for? That is the stir bar
Q6. Am I supposed to rinse/wash off the tubes and stir things after each use? Yes, I use pool water after tossing tested water into yard. I keep a paper towel handy to dry. You want to keep that DPD power dry! dry! dry!
Q7. If I do a chlorine test, do I -have- to do another/different test before acting on the results of that test? (for example, if I don't know my pH, TA, CH, or CYA, should I do -NOTHING- regardless of my chlorine test until I also test the others?) I know they all sort of work together and one might affect the other, I'm just learning slowly here and nervous about screwing up these tests and it's taking me a long time to grasp this stuff.
The FC and CC tests are done on the same sample. First the FC, then immediately add the five drops of the CC reagent . If the sample goes pink again with the CC reagent drop-go back to using the 0871 liquid to count drops. For FC and CC test you count drops and divide by 2. That's your result. No need to do "TC" (which is nothing more than FC + CC = TC. No one cares about TC.
Sorry for the ignorance, try not to laugh too hard. I'm going to have a lot more questions, but I just need those answered for now.

I'm mainly just trying to get familiar with running a Chlorine drop test for FC and CC, and TC.

Thanks.

Reactions: jesse-99
You guys are really awesome. Every time I posted on here I get -immediate- (and helpful) answers to my ignorant questions. Thanks for the help so quickly. I'll try the FC/CC test tomorrow. Once I get that one nailed down, I try some of the others.

Jesser,

You are no different than we were when we first tried to run our own tests.. :mrgreen: But, I suspect that within a week, you will be telling others how to do them..

I have the TF-Pro and love it.. A definite step up from the original TF-100.. :thumleft:

I find that for me, the hole in the foam for + stirrer bar is too deep for my stubby fingers, so I added a foam spacer under it.. I have also found that putting the CYA test tube in upside down (bottom pointed up) makes getting the tube in and out easier.

Good luck with your next set of tests.. You can't hurt anything.. Play with it and have fun.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.