Silver Supporter
Apr 9, 2020
Gold Canyon AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
A few months ago I purchased TF-100 test kit as recommended by TFP members. It comes with a T-1000 mini-kit for daily testing of TOTAL chlorine and pH. The laminated instruction sheet says this is the only test I need to perform daily. However all TFP chlorine recommendations are for FREE chlorine, a number that requires the full TF-100 kit to determine. I have written to Taylor asking if there is a conversion whereby I could determine my free chlorine (4 to 9) from my TOTAL chlorine (.5 to 5) levels. They told me that the T-1001 mini-kit was required for testing FREE chlorine.
My question is: Why doesn't the TF-100 kit come with the T-1001? If free chlorine is the "only" daily test I need take, it would make sense to include the T-1001 instead. No?

The TF-100 kit comes with the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) and that is the best method to test FC. It also can test CCs. The visual comparator blocks will show pH and may be convenient to test for the presence of "total" chlorine, but the FAS-DPD is the gold standard for FC testing.

Yeah, I understand the TF-100 is the "gold standard" for determining FC and I use it for that. However, since the TF-100 comes with the small Chlorine/pH test kit, why didn't they make it the K-1001 (I mislabeled it T-1001 in my post) which measurers the more valuable FC? To measure FC every day as recommended I need to drag out the more cumbersome TF-100 instead of the simpler (though less accurate) K-1001. I just think the K-1000 test for TC is not that valuable alone since it can be determined easily while doing the FAS-DPD test for FC. I don't understand why the FC-100 wasn't packaged that way.

If you look at the link below, you'll see the 1000, 1001, and FAS-DPD each have their pros & cons. It explains it quite well. While the 1001 (DPD) can separate FC and CC, you can encounter other potential problems with overall testing, especially at high FC levels. @OTPirate can confirm, but at some point we have to make a decision as to how many (or which type) of tests do we recommend. With the exception of pools doing a SLAM Process, we generally expect to have very little CC in our water (less than 0.5), so the OTO is simple and effective when doing a simple "eyeball" test for FC presence. Whenever we need accuracy, the FAS-DPD just makes sense.

Reactions: HermanTX
While the kits are functionally doing much the same things, I picked the Taylor K2005 for my first test kit because I felt like it made more sense for me to have a single kit. Well, that and being recommended by my brother who has used the same kit for years. ;) While the '2005 doesn't use the finer grained FAS-DPD method of chlorine testing, the quick visual check of free vs. total just made sense to how I knew I'd be testing, and having the combined block was just simpler. Fill the block, 5 drops, 5 drops, read color. 5 drops, read color. Done, move to pH - fill the block, 5 drops, read color. Yay, looks good, back to other things (or testing CH, TA, etc. if needed). If I ever need to test chlorine levels >10 or do an overnight chlorine test, that will have me upgrading my kit by adding the FAS-DPD reagents, but they'll fit in the same box.

OK. Good link. (I've had about enough capital letters and abbreviations for one day! :eek: )
So...The OTO test that comes with the K-1000 is a close enough daily test (although it measures TC) but should be followed up every few days with the FAS-DPD test for accuracy of FC.
I'm having my pool converted to salt water later this week so I'll be entering a whole new world of learning. I've done my homework on that though. Much thanks for the help you've given me.

TFTestKits offer two stir gadgets, the Smart Stir and the Speedstir. Both seem to use a magnetic "bean" to stir the solution. Isn't that kind of a hassle to remove from the mixing cylinder each time? Is there a general consensus as to which one is preferable?
I thought I had seen one that merely vibrates to mix but I haven't found it on-line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Taylor Speedstir is the most common. They must have just added this other Smart Stir. Not sure of the name brand. I do not see any compelling reason to get the Smart Stir over the Speedstir. The Taylor Speedstir comes with batteries and is used by many of us on the forum.
After a test I just dump the liquid into a container. I hold my finger partially on the opening of the tube to catch the stirrer. I think I only let it slip by once or twice. You could get a small strainer from the grocery store if you do not wish to get your finger wet. I just wipe mine on a towel.

The Smart Stir has been more available than the Speed Stir recently. I believe TFTestkits is moving towards only having the Smart Stir in the future.

TFTestKits offer two stir gadgets, the Smart Stir and the Speedstir. Both seem to use a magnetic "bean" to stir the solution. Isn't that kind of a hassle to remove from the mixing cylinder each time? Is there a general consensus as to which one is preferable?
I thought I had seen one that merely vibrates to mix but I haven't found it on-line.

Purchased a Speedstir to use with a Taylor K2006c test kit. It came with a Taylor #9188 tube and a #6101 stirring bar 1". Purchased two additional tubes and stirring bars so a tube & bar could be dedicated to each of three tests requiring their use in the K2006c kit (chlorine, TA, CH). This streamlines the testing process of a water sample as all of the tests can be completed without having to stop to clean any equipment. This setup will also reduce the chance of interference between different testing chemicals.

The Speedstir helped me focus on the adding, counting & REMEMBERING DROP COUNT by eliminating the need to swirl the tube.

Nice side benefit is the three tubes and Speedstir all fit in the K2006c case.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
Purchased a Speedstir to use with a Taylor K2006c test kit. It came with a Taylor #9188 tube and a #6101 stirring bar 1". Purchased two additional tubes and stirring bars so a tube & bar could be dedicated to each of three tests requiring their use in the K2006c kit (chlorine, TA, CH). This streamlines the testing process of a water sample as all of the tests can be complete without having to stop to clean any equipment. This setup will also reduce the chance of interference between different testing chemicals.

The Speedstir helped me focus on the adding, counting & REMEMBERING DROP COUNT by eliminating the need to swirl the tube.

Nice side benefit is the three tubes and Speedstir all fit in the K2006c case.
Good idea. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.