TF-100 test kit question

There could be a problem. Is your water cloudy? Are you seeing excessive FC drop?

You can do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test as another method to see if you have an issue.

If things are good, then you should raise your CYA to at least 40 or 50 ppm for your area at this time of year.

Those tablets are probably what got you to 30. They contain CYA, so they'll keep taking your CYA higher. With a relatively small pool, you could use them until CYA gets too high, at which point you'll have to exchange water.

If you'd prefer not to exchange water, you'll need to switch to liquid chlorine once you reach the ideal CYA range.

Well since 40 is low, you could carefully continue to use tablets for a while instead of buying CYA. Clorox hasn't been our friend lately - I don't even know if they sell regular bleach anymore. "Cloromax Technology" includes additives that you don't want in your pool. "A friend told me" that it causes some surface sudsing! (ok, it was me. I mistakenly added it. The problem didn't last long, but it's certainly not recommended either)

Pool Math will tell you how much of a given percentage of chlorine bleach to add to reach your target.

Did you, by chance, just add some fill water before you tested? Many water systems use chloramines to prevent pipe rust. So that could be one source. Second;y, have you added any non-chlorine shock recently? Third, do you pull a cover over the pool -- a tarp or bubble wrap, or anything like that? Lastly, could some children (or adult beer-drinkers) peed in the pool?

Any of those could contribute to high CC. No matter what the source, raising FC and allowing the sun to get at the CC will remove it.

Well since 40 is low, you could carefully continue to use tablets for a while instead of buying CYA. Clorox hasn't been our friend lately - I don't even know if they sell regular bleach anymore. "Cloromax Technology" includes additives that you don't want in your pool. "A friend told me" that it causes some surface sudsing! (ok, it was me. I mistakenly added it. The problem didn't last long, but it's certainly not recommended either)

Pool Math will tell you how much of a given percentage of chlorine bleach to add to reach your target.
Thank you very much I appreciate your input.

Did you, by chance, just add some fill water before you tested? Many water systems use chloramines to prevent pipe rust. So that could be one source. Second;y, have you added any non-chlorine shock recently? Third, do you pull a cover over the pool -- a tarp or bubble wrap, or anything like that? Lastly, could some children (or adult beer-drinkers) peed in the pool?

Any of those could contribute to high CC. No matter what the source, raising FC and allowing the sun to get at the CC will remove it.
Yes I added some water about 5-6 days ago. I have not added any non - chlorine shock in about a week. I also do not cover the pool since our cover is not the best. I have older teenage kids and a 6 yr old but all get out multiple times to use the bathroom. Should I use the shock pods I have on hand?

The non-chlorine shock registers as CC so it's possible there's some of that lingering.

What do you mean by "shock pods"? What is in them?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.