TF-100 results for TA and CH super high

dbo_texas

Member
Oct 8, 2019
12
Pflugerville, TX
We have a relatively new pool (startup ~ 1.5 months ago) and we've been using Aquacheck 7 test strips to supplement the weekly pool service our builder had for us for the first 4 weeks. I'd like to maintain it myself since the pool service ended, so I bought the TF-100 kit to get better results. I have run the full suite of tests 3 times over the last week and a half and all 3 times, the TA is averaging 310, and the CH is averaging around 700. Here are my last readings (today): OTO Chlorine = 1.0, OTO pH = 7.5, FC=1.5, CC=0, CYA=75,CH=625, TA=300. I had my water tested at Leslie's last weekend when my TF-100 results were similar (higher chlorine levels and CH levels at 825) and they got a TA of 68 and CH of 232. These were more in line with what the pool maintenance company had been measuring (they use a Taylor kit).

For my current readings, I know I need to bring the FC up quite a bit. But for the TA & CH, is there any reason they would be reading so high with the TF-100 kit when Leslie's and the Aquacheck 7 strips seem to indicate both are significantly less than what TF-100 is telling me? Is it possible some of the reagents have gone bad? I don't really believe the TF100 results right now. I plan to have Leslie's test again this weekend just to get another comparison, but if their numbers are lower again, I'm not sure what next steps would be.
 

dbo_texas

Member
Oct 8, 2019
12
Pflugerville, TX
Just following up on this post. I tested my source water (outside spigot) and got similar readings to the pool - super high Alkalinity (+300 ppm). When my pool guy came over he took a look at the kit and tested. Immediately he noticed the color of the sample after adding the green reagent R008 wasn't as dark green as it should have been. It was a very light green color instead of a darker emerald green it should have been. After a little investigation, he determined the drop sizes were way smaller than they should have been. We cleaned out the tip of the bottle and found a small clog. After doing this, the drops were appropriate size, and test results were within the expected range (75 ppm).
 
  • Like
Reactions: bmoreswim