TF-100 best time to test

May 13, 2011
Daphne AL
Hello everyone,
I have the TF100 and must say every pool owner must purchase this kit. It gives so much detail about the balance of your water.

I test with the tf100 on occasion and was wondering when is the best - most accurate time to test?

Pump running?
End of day?
Light swimming day?

And best tips would be appreciated. My pool is in sunlight sun up to sun down.

The "best" time is anytime you have time to make chemical adjustments as necessary after the water has been circulated for awhile. Take your samples an arm lengths deep or so. I usually do mine around dusk.

Whenever you can remember to make it a habit! Needs to be after pool has been on for an hour at least, and will be on for another hour at least.

Probably best to do at the end of the day, so that chlorine added can circulate overnight at full strength. But I always preferred to add chlorine in the AM, as I don't care if my PJs get bleach spots but I hate that on my regular clothes.

Remembering is hard for me as I change when the pool runs depending on whether the pool is getting too warm or too cold.

I like to test mine before the SWG starts but after the pump has been on for awhile. My thinking is that is the lowest the chlorine level will ever be at. This would be around 11am for me, I have our generator running through peak sun hours seeing there's rarely anyone in the pool at that time.

It is best if you can test at the same time each day, and have the pump running for at least half an hour before testing. There is a very slight advantage to testing in the evenings, but that is hardly essential.

that's been sort of the thing I'm struggling with - most everyone is saying at Dusk after the sun is off the pool ... The current pool service tests - when she gets there during the day ... It would be a lot more convenient for me personally to be able to test late morning after the pump comes on (11 AM or so). So I'm going to play this by ear and see what works for me ... I know I'm over-thinking this .. Oh, and just today I found out more details on our new pool from the pool service's "orientation" .. I'll update my signature.

Are you taking over the pool maintenance from the pool service? If you are not, make sure you give the chemicals they add at least an hour to circulate before you do your test. Either way, I would wait at least an hour after adding chemicals and/or starting the pump.

I prefer the AM. My results at the kitchen table with a fresh cup of coffee are quite accurate. :goodjob:

My results at happy hour don't seem to be so good........I can't explain what it is about the reagents that causes them to get out of whack like that. :shock: :shock:

linen said:
Are you taking over the pool maintenance from the pool service? If you are not, make sure you give the chemicals they add at least an hour to circulate before you do your test. Either way, I would wait at least an hour after adding chemicals and/or starting the pump.

yes - they are no longer doing it ... They gave me the "turn over" of everything today .. just waiting on my TF-100 to arrive on Thursday. Left the "puck" in until then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
I prefer the AM. My results at the kitchen table with a fresh cup of coffee are quite accurate. :goodjob:

My results at happy hour don't seem to be so good........I can't explain what it is about the reagents that causes them to get out of whack like that. :shock: :shock:

ExActly ... :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.