Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Kit came in yesterday along with other goodies like SpeedStir etc. that i ordered. Want to become a Pro at doing this myself.

What is the best time to do a sample?
With the SpeedStir it has a light so should i do my readings in a less lighted place?
What is the best lighting to get true numbers?

What else should i do to help a beginner in doing my own testing?

Thanks

just tested indoors using light from SpeedStir and Florescent lighting in kitchen.

FC 7
CC 1
TC 8
TA 100
CH 150
CYA 40 added 4 lbs. of stabilizer yesterday
PH BETWEEN 7.2 and 7.5
BORATES 50
SALT 3300
TEMP 85

Best time; probably early evening, since chlorine added then will last all night. Also, filter needs to have been running about an hour before taking a sample and running about an hour after adding chemicals. But really, just do it regularly and keep notes on the results and what you add. I also note what my target levels are, since FC target changes as CYA changes and MA volumes to get to a given pH change as TA changes, for example.

SpeedStir; I don't think less lighting makes any difference. I think consistent lighting is most important so I take the samples inside to the laundry room where I have a sink and a countertop and do most tests there. That is away from the mosquitoes, comfortable in the winter, and near the computer so I can check the Pool Calculator for volumes to add. Also that is where I store my test kit.

True numbers; just know that you want to count all drops that change the colors. That means that when you think you are "clear" or "red" or "blue" add one more drop and be certain. Later on you will be able to know how red is "red". The SpeedStir helps quite a lot with that, but if you are not using that then hold the vial up to a white surface. Sometimes looking at it with a white cabinet or wall behind it shows the difference between "clear" and not quite clear.

Your numbers look OK in some areas, depending on what sort of pool surface you have. CH is probably low for plaster, OK for vinyl or fiberglass. For SWG pools your CYA needs to be higher so let us know what that addition of CYA ought to give you. Assuming that the target is between 60 and 80 then you are OK. Keep it near 7 or 8 until the CC goes down. I assume you might be trying to lower the TA with the pH a bit on the low side so if you aerate the pH can rise a bit. Not sure that is really important, depends on your pool surface I think.

You can add you pool info to your profile and it will show up on your posts. Very helpful for those who want to offer advice.

It doesn't really matter what time of the day or night you check. The tests for everything but PH are based on color change, not a specific color so as long as you can see the color change or go to clear then you have enough light.

If you are wanting to check for chlorine loss, then the best way is to do a check late in the evening.. not necessarily dark but after the sun is no longer shining on the pool, maybe just at sunset.... and then check again the morning just at sunup before sunlight hits the pool directly. That way you eliminate how much FC the sun in consuming and if you are losing anything over .5 ppm then you need to shock the pool.

Which comes to the next point... you have 1ppm CC... so you need to shock now. You want CC's to be 0. Use the pool calculator to check shock levels. And I would go probably 5ppm over that since you just added 4#'s of CYA yesterday. Don't test your CYA level's again for another 3-4 days as you're just wasting your reagents. It takes almost a week for CYA to full dissolve and show up during testing.

What type of pool do you have? Do you have a vinyl liner?

kpromero said:
Kit came in yesterday along with other goodies like SpeedStir etc. that i ordered. Want to become a Pro at doing this myself.

What is the best time to do a sample?
With the SpeedStir it has a light so should i do my readings in a less lighted place?
What is the best lighting to get true numbers?

What else should i do to help a beginner in doing my own testing?

Thanks
A white lab coat goes well with the speed stir and all the vials. :-D

I find the best lighting is sunlight with something white to view against. My pH can change dramatically if the background is the blue sky, the tan fence, or even an overcast sky. I have some white plastic chairs that are handy. Just hold the sample up with a chair that has direct sun on it as the background.

Keep a log. It's real easy to forget the numbers from even a couple days ago. You'll also gain a feel for what you need to add, over time.

I have an above ground pool 27' round, 4' deep which should be 17,200 gallons or so.

I also have a AquaRite SWG.

When I test CH, the blue color is pretty faint, and I found that the builtin light on the speed-stir washed it out. So I tend not to use the light. Decent ambient light and a white background works really well for the color-change tests.
--paulr

I did notice the vials in my kit are a little crooked and at angles. Is this a problem?

2nd weekend test results.
FC 6
CC 0
TC 6
TA 110
CYA 50
SALT 3500
PH 7.2 - 7.5
BORATES 50
TEMP 86 F

I have been going with the vial that came with the SpeedStir.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
Keep a log. It's real easy to forget the numbers from even a couple days ago. You'll also gain a feel for what you need to add, over time.

When I got my TF100, I photocopied the log that is on the top of the kit's case. I made about 20 copies so should last me a season or two.

mickey4paws said:
When I got my TF100, I photocopied the log that is on the top of the kit's case. I made about 20 copies so should last me a season or two.

I found that I needed a bit more info so I made a spreadsheet on Excel and expanded that log to include what chemical I added, what strength, volume, and my goal for that addition and room for a comment. i.e. Cal-Hypo/ 73%/ 28 oz./ goal FC 6/ MA/ 2 cups/ goal pH 7.4/ rained

Thanks all for your help. You are all making it easier and helping me understand my pool better. Love this site.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.