Testing Using the Dilution Method

vjpool

Jul 4, 2007
Memphis, TN
I have been using the dilution method until my TF kit arrives tomorrow :-D

I read in a post that I can test even further than I have. Tell me what the multipliers are, i.e.:

1 part pool water to 1 part distilled water = multiply x2
1 part pool water to 2 parts distilled water = multiply x3

What's the next level I can go to at least try and match colors on the little kit I have now.
The kit I'm using only tests the TC level to 5

Thanks.

vj.

Use dilution as a last resort and put little faith in the results. The more you dilute, the worse it gets.

My experience with it has been it's wildy innaccurate. I think it should be "prescribed" less on the forum and always with the caveat that the results aren't very good.

I would consider it as a temporary, stop-gap approach and would personally disregard any dilution results over 2:1

1 part distilled to 1 part pool water: multiply result by 2 (now your test reads up to 10)
2 parts distilled to 1 part pool water: multiply by 3 (reads to 15)
3 parts distilled to 1 part pool water: multiply by 4 (reads to 20)

Dave is right, each dilution loses you a great deal of accuracy. The reason I suggest it (almost always after suggesting a good test kit :) ) is because it is somewhat more accurate than "really dark orange"! Not much, but a little.

Thx Durlaiegh and TMQ -- I take your comments very seriously. This IS just a temporary method for helping to keep the algae away (psst :arrow: since it's ALL GONE! :-D

Have a good evening. Tomorrow I will report on the Algae thread that I have there where I started with asking for help. I'm almost home free..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.