Silver Supporter
Dec 20, 2015
Arnold md.
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am still fairly new at pool stuff but learning. The pool guy opened on Tuesday and dumped about 4 bags of shock in my 30k gallon pool. I checked my levels today and my levels were as follows
fc- 10
Cc - 0
ta- 50
CyA - 30
pH - 8
Calcium hardness- 300
My question is with all the shock in there will pH be hard to test properly?
The shock was calcium hypo, and two bags of granular sodium hypo.

Vinny, get away from the Pool Guy. The LAST TIME I allowed "the pool guy" to add anything at opening the pool, he threw in 12 - 1 lb. bags of Trichlor (loaded with CYA) becuase "man, you needed it dude...", no measurements, no knowledge, this guy was more of an auto mechanic than a pool professional....all he wanted to do was hit me up at $12/bag for the powder. I complained and he dropped it to $9.

But what he did killed me...it took my CYA way above where I needed it to be....it was already at 70...and it took it up way over 100. So, for a while no matter how much CL I added, it had no effect. Huge CL cost to keep it above 10 ppm all the time...until I drained/refilled.

Stay aweay from trichlor and stabilized 3" tabs: use CalHypo and Wal Mart Concentrated Bleach. I bought a SWG and love it....

Suffice to say: now the Pool Guy ONLY comes over to remove and pack the cover in the spring, and put it back on in the fall. I do EVERYTHING else....so should you.

Vinny, get away from the Pool Guy. The LAST TIME I allowed "the pool guy" to add anything at opening the pool, he threw in 12 - 1 lb. bags of Trichlor (loaded with CYA) becuase "man, you needed it dude...", no measurements, no knowledge, this guy was more of an auto mechanic than a pool professional....all he wanted to do was hit me up at $12/bag for the powder. I complained and he dropped it to $9.

But what he did killed me...it took my CYA way above where I needed it to be....it was already at 70...and it took it up way over 100. So, for a while no matter how much CL I added, it had no effect. Huge CL cost to keep it above 10 ppm all the time...until I drained/refilled.

Stay aweay from trichlor and stabilized 3" tabs: use CalHypo and Wal Mart Concentrated Bleach. I bought a SWG and love it....

Suffice to say: now the Pool Guy ONLY comes over to remove and pack the cover in the spring, and put it back on in the fall. I do EVERYTHING else....so should you.

I hear you on that. The good thing is some of the shock he had, I gave him that did not have any stabilizer in it, At least I think it didn't. Some of it was his own which I'm sure did have some in it. I did ck my levels before anything went in and it did need some stabilizer so I was ok with his couple of bags. The only reason I use the pool guy is for the cover but they charge the same for doing everything else, so I let him do his thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My new pool guy is one who recommends to use good old Wal Mart bleach for CL...so he is OK by me. Still, he only removes and replaces the cover in the spring and fall. And he only hits me up for $75 per trip...which makes my back very very happy. He even bags it and stores on the overhead loft in the shed too... Whoooohoooo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.