Testing kit

Sausage

Jun 22, 2008
Hi,

Can someone please tell me what the best ph testing kit is. I have a Taylor kit but can't match the colors for the life of me and wonder if ther might be a better solution.

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Are you colorblind? If not, then maybe the test block has faded with age.

I have seen ads for some optical tester, but I have never seen one in person. You fill test tubes and add reagent, then stick them inside and it reads and gives you a number. You might want to start googling for it.

It would be nice if someone made a pH test as foolproof as the FAS-DPD chlorine test, wouldn't it?

G

I look for shades more than an exact match. I try to be as accurate as I possibly can, but I know it is not life or death, so shades are close enough for me :cool:

cheddar85

Feb 18, 2010
Houston, TX
Richard320 said:
It would be nice if someone made a pH test as foolproof as the FAS-DPD chlorine test, wouldn't it?
Sure would! :mrgreen:

All the pH kits should be pretty much the same (except the strips!), Richard and Bruce gave good advice.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Reading the colors on the PH test gets much easier with practice. It is best to hold the view tube up to a white surface that is lit by direct sunlight. Good lighting makes it simpler to distinguish the colors.

If you really can't make the colors out, there are some alternative ways to measure PH that give direct digital readouts, but they cost around $100.

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
E Testing and Balancing Your Water 4
S Testing and Balancing Your Water 2
S Spas and Hot Tubs 9

Other Threads of Interest